Blind Date: Matthew and Maria

After the Valentines Day festivities in St Andrews last week, we sent Matthew Pattie and Maria Sisci to the Oakrooms to try their own hand at love. Matthew, a 5th year English […]

After the Valentines Day festivities in St Andrews last week, we sent Matthew Pattie and Maria Sisci to the Oakrooms to try their own hand at love. Matthew, a 5th year English student and recognizable face of The Other Guys, thoroughly enjoys the tweets of Kanye West and watching teen chick flicks (Wild Child recently changed his life). A third year Psychology and Economics student, Maria is a self-diagnosed foodie who turns to cooking in the kitchen during times of stress. 

Maria on Matthew

Before the meal, what were you looking for?

A delicious meal (I’ve never been to Ogstons before so I was excited to try their food) and good company!

First impression of Matthew?

Isn’t he one of The Other Guys…?

Were there any awkward moments? Spill!

There were the occasional awkward silences that led me to blabber on about inappropriate things like divorce and unhappy families, so that was good. Also, when we said goodbye at the end of the night, he leaned in for a hug and I went for a friendly kiss on the cheek. These cultural differences actually happen quite a lot and it is awkward every single time.

What did you order to eat? How was it?

I ordered a carrot and coriander soup, along with a chicken madras curry as a main. His steak pie looked better than my curry, but I thought it would have been quite inappropriate if I had asked to try some of his food upon our first meeting.

Did you go on somewhere after the date…?

No … he had rehearsal to go to. I think. I’m hoping. 

Rate your evening out of a ten.

An 8 — I definitely got what I came for. It was a good break from studying in my room, complete with some scrumptious food and lovely company.

Image

Matthew on Maria

Before the date, what were you hoping for?

Engaging conversation and fine wining and dining.

First impressions?

She was lovely (and punctual).

Any interesting dinner conversations?

That a certain St Andrews restaurant underpays and overworks their staff (#illegal). Not at Ogstons — the staff seemed very content. I think that The Stand are big tippers.

Were there any awkward moments? Spill!

When we realised that we had spoken previously via Facebook to sort out some customer service issues. That, and when she mocked my love of JBiebz. No one knows him like I do.

Would you introduce your date to your friends? Would you see your date again?

Yes to both questions, providing that she retracts her Bieber comments.

Only to rehearse with 11 other men. I would have liked to go for a drink but duty called. Sorry!

Rate your evening out of a ten.

An 8 — it was a lovely evening. 

The Stand would like to say an enormous thank you to to Ogstons on North Street for two simply scrumptious meals as always in an exciting venue. To book a table, call 01334473387 or email [email protected] for something different and delicious.

If you would like to participate in a Stand Blind Date, please e-mail to help us help you find love!

photoscourtesy of: Teresa Barros-Bailey