Nando’s coming to St Andrews

Construction is currently under way for a Nando’s in St Andrews. The Mozambiquan-Portuguese inspired restaurant, famous for its piri-piri sauces, is to replace the old Littlejohns restaurant at the end […]

Construction is currently under way for a Nando’s in St Andrews. The Mozambiquan-Portuguese inspired restaurant, famous for its piri-piri sauces, is to replace the old Littlejohns restaurant at the end of Market Street.

It is the latest in St Andrews’ eating shake-up, after news of a burger bar to replace Butler’s, as well as new plush seating in Dervish to upgrade post night-out ‘dining’.

Good marketing strategy? Nando’s Market Street location

The restaurant chain has over 250 branches of in the UK and is found on five continents globally. Good news for all those piri-piri fanatics out there. BTDubs, if you can prove that you have eaten at Nando’s in all of their 31 countries, you will eat there for free – for LIFE. The bad news is that you’ll have to have been as far as Malawi, Bangladesh and Oman to do so, a stretch too far perhaps, even for St Andrews gap yah standards.

The Stand spoke to 2nd year Mark Jones, who summed up Nando’s arrival with: “Probably the best news ever.”

Some students however, are not so excited about its arrival in the Bubble. One 4th year Portuguese/Brazilian student, Ines Cardoso, said: “I dislike the way in which Nando’s conveniently homogenizes Portuguese, Mozambiquan and Brazilian culture into one commercially viable (and average-tasting!) chain-food package”.

Others are on the fence including 2nd year David Matusiak, who said, “I’m torn between destroying the (fake) quaint impression of St Andrews (I mean, basically everything in town is a chain already) and gaining new good food.”

Nando’s opens in St Andrews on May 4. May the 4th be with you.

Headline image ©www.facebook.com/nandos.restaurants