Ladies’ Basketball: Champions

As the Saints Women’s Basketball team suited up for another season match on Wednesday, February 11, 2013, they worked to mentally and physically prepare for another of their most important […]

As the Saints Women’s Basketball team suited up for another season match on Wednesday, February 11, 2013, they worked to mentally and physically prepare for another of their most important games of the season. Set to face one of only two teams who had defeated the Saints during the BUCS season thus far, the team welcomed the squad from Queen Margaret University. A win against Queen Margaret would secure 2nd place for the Saints in the Scottish 2A league, and give them the edge they needed, in league points, to contend for a first place finish in the season.

Coming into the first BUCS game of 2013, after being the dominant team in the league at the close of 2012 play, the Saints capitalized on home court advantage and an injured QMU squad to dominate the match from the tip-off until the final buzzer. The Saints, led by captain Hannah Rogers throughout the game, played as fluid unit, running the floor and moving the ball well, dominating the inside with a huge size advantage and dominating the outside with strong shooting guards. Despite several Saints players getting into foul trouble, everyone held their heads up and the team was motivated enough to push through. Maintaining composure throughout the 40 minutes of play, the Saints won with a 77-43 victory over QMU, with every team member contributing to the win on that night.

Following up that victory with another against Stirling this past week, ending 106 – 33 in St Andrews’ favor, the Saints now look with eager enthusiasm to their biggest match of the year. This will be against Edinburgh 2nds, on February 27, 2013, at 5:30pm at the University Sports Centre, where they will figure for a spot in the 1st Division.