Review: Disney Boppin’

On Friday, I lost my bop virginity to Disney. It may have been quite embarrassing, a little painful, but it’s just one of those things that eventually has to be […]

On Friday, I lost my bop virginity to Disney. It may have been quite embarrassing, a little painful, but it’s just one of those things that eventually has to be done.

I arrived ridiculously early at 10.30pm, after hearing a rumour that the bop was sold out (I didn’t know ‘bop’ and ‘sell-out’ couldn’t be used in the same sentence), my worst fears came true. No more than a dozen lonely Cinderella’s and Woody’s awkwardly dancing in Venue 1. Oh God, this is exactly how I imagined the bop to be. This was obviously a rookie error though, as an hour later the Union bar was heaving and Venue 1 was filling up with more characters than a Disney box-set.

I must be one of the few people who can say they spent their Friday night dancing to One Direction in a sleepy Scottish town with Alice in Wonderland, Copper from Fox and the Hound, Mrs Incredible and one of the Aristocats. The creative ones amongst us (albeit those with far too much time on their hands) sported some very imaginative and impressive costumes. Captain Hook, complete with wig, boots and sword (you know who you are), you definitely get the award for Most Extravagant. Cinderella in a full-length satin dress, yes your dress was beautiful but remember this is the Union, not actual Disneyland. And to whichever 18 year old boy can still feel comfortable going out in public in a Peter Pan costume, you’re a braver person than I’ll ever be.

As far as the music was concerned, it was really more ‘bop’ than ‘Disney’. Yes, it was fun and cheesy but I’m not really sure when Carly Rae Jepsen, Nicki Minaj and Kesha (sorry, Ke$ha) were ever Disney. I was so up for a rendition of A Whole New World, Bare Necessities, maybe even a bit of Breaking Free or Hannah Montana, so for the playlist to be taken mainly from Pop Party 10 was a little disappointing.

The balloon drop was probably the highlight of the evening. Quite obviously simple things please simple minds and you never get too old to enjoy popping balloons, even though I do feel sorry for whoever was left to clear up the mess.

So, will I be rushing back to a bop? Probably not. But regardless of what my opinion of the night was, it was something a little different for RAG Week and 100% of the proceeds went to charity, which must have been quite a substantial sum given how many people were there. Apparently, you’re never too old to enjoy a bit of Disney.