Blind Date: Rory and Joel

For the first blind date of the new semester, The Stand sent two charming lads on a date at the Oakrooms. Second-year Rory, an English major and aspiring drunk writer, […]

For the first blind date of the new semester, The Stand sent two charming lads on a date at the Oakrooms. Second-year Rory, an English major and aspiring drunk writer, met up with postgraduate student Joel, a self-proclaimed Mexican food addict and lover of Bacardi.

Rory on Joel

Before the date what were you looking for?

A Greek god completely covered in a leather gimp-suit; and if I can’t get that then someone who is nice, funny, can hold a conversation and can make the time fly by. But only if I can’t get my first option.

First impression?

Tall. Very tall. I got whiplash when he entered the room.

Were there any awkward moments? Spill!

For some reason he ate so little of his own food that, by comparison, when I ate (fairly quickly, as I tend to) I must have looked like some kind of horrendously starved pig that had finally been offered much swill after long months of nutritional deprivation.

What was the most interesting/surprising thing that you learned about your date?

That we were absolutely as pretentious as each other … so we had a geek-freak out (is that a thing?) together.

Did you go on somewhere after the date?

No, we parted ways, but before we did so we decided that we would meet up again for his birthday this week.

Rate your evening out of a ten.

A 9! Didn’t get my Greek god gimp, but I still had a great time.

Image

Joel on Rory

Before the date, what were you hoping for?

All I was hoping for was that this guy would not think that I was a psychopath.

First impressions?

He seemed friendly and laid back, with a nice smile and great hair. I jabbered like a maniac out of nervousness at first but his wry humour put me at ease.

Interesting conversation topics?

We share similar interests in books and films, as well as self-deprecating senses of humour about our pretentious taste.

Were there any awkward moments? Spill!

I eat like a bird when I’m trying to carry on a conversation. I just kept picking at the food while he ate. If he hadn’t noticed already, the waitress kept asking me if something was wrong because I wasn’t finishing anything. He must have thought that was pretty strange. I also can never sit still. I kept shifting positions and brushed against his leg twice, but I think that he realised that I wasn’t trying to, uh, be friendly.

Would you see your date again?

Sure, he’s fun to hang out with and I like opinionated people. It’s also great to meet a guy who has interests similar to mine. Most guys I meet are heartless capitalists (actually sometimes I think I am too) so it was cool to meet a guy with artistic ambitions.

The Stand would like to say an enormous thank you to to Ogstons on North Street for two simply scrumptious meals as always in an exciting venue. To book a table, call 01334473387 or email [email protected] for something different and delicious.

If you’d like to participate in a Stand Blind date please email [email protected] and let us help you find love!

image courtesy of Teresa Barros-Bailey