St-Andrews-shop-sweep: CATWALK style

CATWALK isn’t just your run of the mill St Andrews fashion show, and boy do we have a lot to choose from, it strives to donate to RAG Week’s six […]

CATWALK isn’t just your run of the mill St Andrews fashion show, and boy do we have a lot to choose from, it strives to donate to RAG Week’s six different charities whilst sticking a shoestring budget and sourcing all its fashion from local shops. The shops, which include Superdry, Cancer Research and, most interestingly, the Curiosity Shop (rumour has it there will be a fur walk…) have loaned outfits for the night, which have been carefully chosen by the creative team.

Image

The theme of Kaleidoscope is inspired by one of St Andrews’ Principals, Sir David Brewster, who invented the kaleidoscope in 1817, and it allows for an unusual mix of styles/colours/textures to be strutted on Saturday. As the only University affiliated fashion show, an emphasis has been placed on the 600th anniversary including a specific runway walk dedicated to it, one can only guess as to what this might entail…

I talked to Angela and Hayley, who are part of the creative team, whilst they styled some outfits to be showcased on Saturday night. They were reviewing the clothes they had selected so far, most of which were eclectic and colourful to go with the theme, with lots of evening wear and costume jewellery thrown in – there was even mention of a turban! This year, the show looks set to be sexy, fun and playful – with a dash of extreme innovation thrown in. It’s certainly going to be a CATWALK like we’ve never seen before. 

Every team member was extremely excited about the show, and judging by what I have seen so far, it looks set to be a stunner. Be sure to get your ticket for CATWALK before they sell out!

The charities that RAG Week supports are: Families First, Children’s Hospice Association Scotland (CHAS), Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), Macmillan Cancer Support and Maggie’s Cancer Caring Centres.

Images ©Benoît Grogan Avignon at Lightbox Creative, St Andrews for The Stand