Stand Up: Becca French, Fine Food Fayre Co-head

The Stand meets Becca French, co-organizer of this Sunday’s Fine Food Fayre, to get the info on RAG Week’s big foodie event… Hi Becca! Can you tell us about how […]

The Stand meets Becca French, co-organizer of this Sunday’s Fine Food Fayre, to get the info on RAG Week’s big foodie event…

Hi Becca! Can you tell us about how you are involved in the Fine Food Fayre?

Well, I got involved in the Fine Food Fayre for two very important reasons: one, it’s part of the wonderful RAG Week, and second, I love food and it meant I could think about food 24/7!

As an event, it’s not limited just to students – am I right?

Nope! 
That was one of the things we really wanted to expand on from last year’s Fayre. We’ve really sold it as a family-friendly event, so everyone in St Andrews and Fife can come together to celebrate excellent food and drink in the name of charity. We’ve got some children’s activities which I’m sure students in St Andrews will want to get involved in – cookie decorating or edible jewelry, anyone?!

So do you think you’ll get a good local turnout as well as students?

When we were selling tickets today, we met some lovely locals who thought it was great and were really keen to bring their families along. It’s the University’s 600th anniversary too and it should be celebrated and recognized by everybody in Scotland, not just students.

So most importantly, what’s the food going to be like?

Our societies are putting on quite a spread to show us different cultures and ways of eating, and the businesses that we have been lucky enough to attract are also selling their unique produce at fantastic prices – from African sauces to Glasgow fudge.
 I am a chocoholic as well, so very keen for chocolate companies such as the Cocoa Tree Shop and the Chocolate Tree. Rumour has it they will be serving up waffles with hot sauces, in interesting flavours like chili! This is the weekend to buy great local produce and eat like kings, instead of going to Tescos…..need I say more? 

What are you most looking forward to munching on?

That’s a hard question!
 We are very excited to have Dunkeld Smoked Salmon, an award winning business which was served at the Queen’s jubilee lunch, so I think I’m most looking forward to that Royal connection.

Anything else you could recommend for us?

Well if I could persuade The Stand, I would recommend the Scottish Organic Milk Company. Random I know, but their mission is to give out free organic milk to persuade us all that organic milk is better. 
They will be there handing it out, give it a try!

Anything else awesome happening at the event?

Exciting raffle prizes! 
A weekend in a beautiful cottage in Burgundy; a round of golf for 4 at Torrance and Kittocks courses; a Magimix food processor; champagne; an afternoon tea for 2 at Balgove Larder; a Rocca food hamper; £40 voucher for the Adamson, and more.

Raffle tickets are £3, but for £5 you can get a goodie bag with it, full of yummy surprises! I don’t want to give too many of them away, but expect homemade chutney and shortbread, and vouchers for Number 40, Chesterhill Spa and Rocca Deli.

As for entertainment, we have cooking demonstrations every hour by the Fine Food and Dining Society, and some jazz and acapella groups performing.

Give us a quick easy recipe to inspire the foodies within us!

This is a Norwegian bread recipe called No-Knead Rolls – makes 8-10.

• 300ml cold water

• 1/2 tea spoon dry yeas
  • t
240g dark
  • 
150g white flour

• 1ts salt

• 1ts honey

• Sunflower seeds

Stir water and yeast together, then 
just chuck in all the other ingredients. Mix with spoon
 – the dough should be sticky, but not runny
. Cover the bowl and let it rise at room temp over night.

Preheat oven and baking tray to 275 degrees. Place dough on floured surface, make a rectangle and divide it into 8 – 10 pieces. Turn oven to 250, and cook for 11 – 13 mins until golden brown. Voila! You are a baker!

If you could only eat one food for the rest of your days, what would it be?

Well that’s easy because I am obsessed with butternut squash. Perfect for me forever!

The Fine Food Fayre will run this Sunday in Younger Hall, 11 – 5pm.