Bombay Bicycle Club DJ set: Fail

Last night was, in fact, really great – despite the less than inspiring DJ set. Pre-party, plenty of drinks and laughs and finally we wandered up to the union, merry […]

Last night was, in fact, really great – despite the less than inspiring DJ set. Pre-party, plenty of drinks and laughs and finally we wandered up to the union, merry and expectant.

Bombay Bicycle Club (minus lead singer, Jack Steadman) must be one of the biggest acts St Andrews has ever hosted, and as someone who also enjoys tunes produced by Jack Steadman independently, I sort of expected a set along these lines:

Or perhaps even this:

But no. Fashionably 30 minutes late and with an excited crowd almost as big as it gets in St Andrews, the boys arrived only to play… Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters and Outkast. An interesting combination of sounds. Oh, and not one song mixed with another, which is what Disk Jockeying is. Otherwise, anyone could get paid to stroll into a club with an iPod, plug it into the speakers, click shuffle and press play. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s exactly what they did.

The crowd diminished, which left the union especially roomy. It might have been better partitioned off, making the space less like a huge box with a handful of dancing students in one corner.

Eventually the band played some 2000s tunes worth dancing to and everyone decided to put their frustration behind them and love life. Everyone left boogied until closing and after-parties began, rounding off the night nicely. At one house, Minimood’s Henry Stanislaw and Sarah Christine showed Bombay Bicycle Club how it’s done.

And what did Bombay’s Ed Nash have to say?

Me: ‘Do you DJ a lot? Did you prepare a set for tonight?’

Him: *Shrugs shoulders and smirks* ‘Probably not enough.’

Hmmm…

It wasn’t the worst gig ever – more because of everyone’s good spirits than the act. Just goes to show, it’s not where you are, it’s the company you’re in. Wasn’t worth £5 though.