Five things you must do this week…

GIG Presents Studio 54: There’s one place that we’ve all been missing over this dead, unending January – one place with a certain sweaty, depraved atmosphere that you just don’t […]

GIG Presents Studio 54: There’s one place that we’ve all been missing over this dead, unending January – one place with a certain sweaty, depraved atmosphere that you just don’t find anywhere else in the world. You all know where I’m talking about – and for one Thursday night, everybody’s guilty Lizard pleasure is being dragged back to 1987, exclusively for GIG’s Studio 54…uh…gig. Expect only the best of 80s glitz, glamour and power dressing, with music from B-Sides and Immanuel Jebson. Don’t forget your shoulder pads.

Music is Love: Be prepared as RAG Week kicks off this Sunday with a live set from The Pictish Trail. Frontman Johnny Lynch is the brain behind last year’s smash hit, Eye O The Dug music festival, so you can be sure you’re in for a night of musical genius. Supported by student musicians Andrew Pearson and the Riflebirds, all proceeds go straight into that RAG Week pot. Tickets on sale now.

Rodeo Night: The Hockey club has done us all proud and come up with an event that guarantees hilarity – the mother of all Wednesday nights will feature a bucking bronco in Venue 1. And if there was ever a better occasion to wear a cowboy hat, I haven’t heard of it. Drinks from just £1 so Daisy Dukes at the ready, everyone! Embarrassment ahead.

Bombay Bicycle Club: Indie rock and roll is back in a big way with the arrival of Bombay Bicycle Club’s third album. It’s a great week for music lovers, as the trio perform a two-hour DJ set in the union, Thursday night. This one is unmissable. Get your tickets for Bombay (Pictish Trail and Rodeo) from the Union website.

Help Save the Byre: The bad news came to light this week that the Byre Theatre would be shutting its doors for the last time, after supporting the arts in our little town for many, many years. Do what you can to prevent this tragedy – check the Facebook page for more info on peaceful demonstrations, and sign the petition here.

Welcome back everyone!