Students return to St Andrews after longest break yet

After the pressures of last semester we could not wait to break free from the little town we call home. The slopes were waiting for us and we hit them […]

After the pressures of last semester we could not wait to break free from the little town we call home. The slopes were waiting for us and we hit them hard. Whether actual ski slopes or the emotional slopes of family festivity, we fled from our University and left the locals in peace for a change.

We now find ourselves slowly returning to the East Fife Coast. Welcome home friends. The Stand is glad to be back in action and boy, we’re glad you are too.

We caught up with the Director of Rugby, David Ross, who let us know what St Andrews is like without us around, “The town definitely has lost its vibrancy over the vacation with no students being here. Pubs, clubs, shops and the streets are quiet and virtually no-one is using the sports facilities. The students add so much and for someone who works with them on a daily basis, you really start to miss the interaction and energy they bring as well as the relationships you have. The only plus point is that it doesn’t take 30 minutes to pop into Tesco and buy a pint of milk”. We’d advise you stock up now David!

Second year Michael Hahn says of his return, “It’s great to be back in St Andrews after such a long Christmas break… The weather is somewhat disappointing though, coming from wonderful snow in England to the damp sleet here.”

Third year Lewis Kopman told The Stand, “Even though I arrived in St Andrews with no luggage and an expired bank card, I couldn’t help being optimistic at the prospect of being reunited with all the great friends I’ve made the last few years, and the inevitability of finding new ones”.

Third year Hannah Lafferty has been away longer than most so was extra excited to come back: “returning from a semester abroad in exotic Spanish Galicia – a place of gastronomic excellence, luscious landscapes and cultural vivacity – the most exciting things I have to look forward to in St Andrews is touching the town cat and ruining my life in the lizard. It’s good to be home.” It’s great to have you.

Bring on semester 2 in all its glory.

image © groupstandrews.org