Review: The Famous Five – Five Discover each other

The Famous Five is not necessarily the first story you’d think of writing a pantomime about. However, Christy White-Spunner’s talent meant that the KK boys ended up performing one of […]

The Famous Five is not necessarily the first story you’d think of writing a pantomime about. However, Christy White-Spunner’s talent meant that the KK boys ended up performing one of the funniest things that I’ve seen in St Andrews. Taking a fictional adventure of the Famous Five as its basis, the tight script weaved in songs about gender confusion, a Billy Elliot (almost) dance, jokes about dogging and a sort of metaphysical ‘find yourself’ plot line.

The script was really brilliant. It followed the five as they attempted to track down villain, Vendito Manus, (played by Casey Larsen), as he attempted to use Enid Blyton’s typewriter to destroy the gang. Not only was it very funny but it was slick, intelligent and fast paced. Every available word was punned upon in some way, which worked most excellently with the character of Dick. A running joke about no-lines-Anne, which culminated in an explosive dance, was especially good (if a little provocative). White-Spunner played well on the essence of the stories, and on the pantomime vibe, making sure that amongst all the “jolly goods” and “lashings of ginger beer”, there were copious amounts of chocolate flying into the audience, as well as the chance to shout: “he’s behiiind you!” and “oooh yes he did!” Ultimately though, its comedy was clearly aimed towards the student body, which inevitably made it a lot more enjoyable

And this was all executed by a talented cast. Everyone knew their lines and their moves, and seemed to be giving it their all. The main five especially, played by Ted Haxby (the gender confused George); Edward Battle (the no-lines-Anne); Mark Jones (one-armed Julian); Christy White-Spunner (Timmy, the dog who turns out to be a man in a dog suit) and Henry Baylis (the cousin loving Dick), did not hold back, which did justice to the farce. The supporting cast also gave their all, and included a festive little camio from The Other Guys. A special mention must go to Michael Glenfield who played an exuberant Enid Blyton.

The pantomime was supported by the Live Kennedy’s, giving an extra boost to the songs and the general atmosphere.

All in all, The Famous Five: Five Discover Each Other was a hilarious and light-hearted way to spend the evening, and everyone left with smiles on their faces. The gentleman of the Kate Kennedy Club managed to provide a much needed revision break – and raise money for an excellent cause. Here’s hoping that the same calibre is maintained for years to come.  

Image