Sports Personality of the Year: Who are the Frontrunners?

It’s been difficult to avoid British sporting success this year. The Olympic and Paralympic games proved an immense addition to the usual array of events over the 2012 calendar. Our […]

It’s been difficult to avoid British sporting success this year. The Olympic and Paralympic games proved an immense addition to the usual array of events over the 2012 calendar. Our athletes inspired the entire nation with their dedication and will to win for their country. Add to this great success Team Sky’s total domination in this year’s Tour De France, Andy Murray finally winning that first coveted Grand Slam, and European success, away from home, in the Ryder Cup and the sporting summer could hardly be more complete. Those who have to choose the top 3 sports personalities for this year have a near impossible task on their hands. Here’s my top 5:

Bradley Wiggins

“Wiggo” became a sporting hero this year, leading Team Sky to victory in the Tour De France. Helped up the mountains by Chris Froome (also British), Wiggins became the first Brit ever to wear the famed yellow jersey on the iconic last stage of the Tour and stand atop the podium. Not content with just one incredible achievement in his summer, 2 weeks later he won the Olympic Time Trial, and in doing so, broke Sir Steve Redgrave’s record of 6 Olympic Medals. It’s important to note, too, that Wiggins is a great ‘personality’: sitting on the throne having just won Gold is undoubtedly one of the stand-out images from the summer. This man deserves an enormous amount of praise, credit and recognition, even if you don’t like his sideburns.

Mo Farah

Mo Farah continued his imperious form that has seen him rise to the top of 5’000m and 10’000m athletics by becoming only the 7th man to ever claim both Gold medals at the Olympics. Always running with a smile on his face(which sometimes takes the form of a grimace), it’s difficult to find someone who doesn’t love Mo Farah. Not only did he give us two Gold medals, he took on Usain Bolt’s lightening pose and brought to Britain, the Mobot. His personality leaves you willing him on to win, and he rarely disappoints.

Jessica Ennis

For a while now, Jess Ennis has been the poster-girl of British athletics. Amid controversy about her weight (an idiot official decided she was fat…), Ennis shone again, dominating the heptathlon and winning Gold with a new British record. Ennis delivers time and time again, and her smile dons our televisions so often it becomes obvious she’s one of the nation’s favourites.

David Weir

The worries that the Paralympics would be a mere afterthought of the Olympics were blown out of the water by incredible performances from athletes with heart-warming stories. David Weir, born with a condition prohibiting the use of his legs, won 4 Gold medals in the marathon, 5’000m, 1500m and 800m. He also gave us probably the most memorable image of the Paralympics, roaring and punching the air after one of his victories.

Andy Murray

Andy Murray won the US Open and became Britain’s first grand slam winner since Fred Perry. He won an Olympic Gold Medal and became World number 3. Ironically, it was probably his biggest loss of the year that won the nation over. A tearful Centre Court Murray congratulated Roger Federer and thanked the fans having been pipped to the Wimbledon crown. At this moment, he won over almost everyone, including myself, who had criticized him for lacking personality. Hats off for an incredible year and that first Grand Slam.

Prediction:

1. Bradley Wiggins
  2. Mo Farah
  3. Andy Murray