How to: have an exceedingly festive Christmas party

Thinking of hosting a Christmas soirée? Before you do, I recommend you study this in great detail. Without these essentials it definitely won’t be perfect. Christmas décor is crucial. Without […]

Thinking of hosting a Christmas soirée? Before you do, I recommend you study this in great detail. Without these essentials it definitely won’t be perfect.

Christmas décor is crucial. Without any sparkly stuff how can you feel festive? Tinsel, paper chains, fairy lights, wreaths, mistletoe, stockings. Those pushing the boat out might even stretch to an artificial tree. And those really pushing the boat out may even go for one of the extravagantly coloured ones. Who wouldn’t want a purple or pink Christmas tree in their living room?

Top tip: The tackier the better.

You may all keep it a secret (only revealing itself on Christmas day) but in reality everyone owns a Christmas jumper. Bridget Jones – prime example. Yes, they’re ugly and no, they shouldn’t be worn by anyone over the age of 7 (or Americans), but we’ll forget these rules for a few hours. Any Christmas jumper makes the cut. For the people who manage to find one with bobbles, sequins or googley eyes, extra drinks all round. Festive headwear is also a given: santa hats, reindeer ears, mistletoe antennae, or anything fairisle are all acceptable.

Top tip: Christmas onesies, 2 of life’s best things combined, would be a great dress code.

What’s a Christmas party without a few jingles? All the classics are a must. The Pogues, Shakin’ Stevens, Mariah, Wizzard, Wham!… yes, I’ve run out of songs but you get the idea. In the festive spirit, karaoke can be excused, so when the drinks get flowing have a go at some of the Christmas classics as well as some guilty Christmas pleasures. If you do decide on a festive sing-song, please steer well clear of ‘Walking in the Air’ and keep drunken girls clear of ‘Santa Baby’. No matter how much mulled wine has been consumed, you will never sound like a St Paul’s choirboy and the Mean Girls dance was satirical – you aren’t actually meant to do that in real life. 

Top tip: ‘Stay Another Day’ by East 17 is karaoke gold.

In terms of food there’s only one thing I can say: MINCE PIES. A spin on a Christmas party for the domestic gods/goddesses among you is a traditional dinner party, complete with full Christmas dinner and all the trimmings. Even the dodgy ones: sprouts, brandy sauce, it wouldn’t be Christmas without them. Unleash your inner Nigella with some homemade sweet treats for your dinner guests; cinnamon buns, mini Christmas puddings and some kind of ginger/nutmeg sponge cake will get mouths watering.

Top tip: To get everyone around the dinner table, anything resembling a chair is permissable; garden chairs, armchairs, camp chairs, swivel chairs. Even footstools or the living room sofa can be added to the table if it gets really desperate. 

Aaaaand last but not least there’s drink. First rule: BYOB. But it will only be acceptable if it’s vaguely festive. Second rule: mulled wine is compulsory, with mulled cider as an additional wintery option. To make sure you get a perfect mix of spices have a ‘trial run’ before your party. It’s Christmas, so any excuse… The last thing you want is a vat of powdery sludge because someone went overboard with the nutmeg. 

Top tip: It’s Christmas – the best time of year to be tipsy all day.

Headline image ©www.bsomusic.org