Did Mermaids jingle bell rock?

Balls – we do like big ones. Call me old fashioned but when one thinks of a Christmas ball, immediately thoughts of mistletoe, Christmas trees, tinsel decorations and cheesy Christmas […]

Balls – we do like big ones. Call me old fashioned but when one thinks of a Christmas ball, immediately thoughts of mistletoe, Christmas trees, tinsel decorations and cheesy Christmas songs come to mind. But these features were rather few and far between at the Mermaids Christmas Ball. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it depends on what floats your boat. Besides, the organisers may have been keen to keep away from the predictable Christmas arrangement. Nevertheless, I appreciate my double dose of Cliff Richard and Mariah Carey. Despite the lack of obvious Christmas Crowd pleasers, the Alleycats (one of St Andrews’ best a capella groups,) performed upon entrance to the event and in various other locations throughout the night. Perhaps Cliff wasn’t too sorely missed.

Image

Price: £35. Expensive but that seems to be the going rate. What did you get for your money..? A bus ride to and from the Kinkell Byre, a glass of cava, ice cream, a great live band and an excuse to wear your finest gear. The Kinky Byre is a top notch venue, which made full use of the settling snowflakes beginning to fall as people began to leave. In addition, the short bus ride gave the sense of occasion, anticipation and excitement. Guests received a glass of bubbly with the ticket price, but if one opted to top-up on the beverage front, there were two difficulties: firstly, the queues and secondly, the price. The venue was jam-packed, making the use of facilities rather challenging, most notably, the queue to the ladies’ lavatory and coat collection (preferably in that order).

For those who nursed the nibbles, needed a sobering-up-snack or wanted to fill the encroaching desire for a wee snack, there were plenty of means of satisfaction. Hog roasts, paninis and a Rendez-Vous production were all available to tickle the fancy of many a Christmas Ball attendee.

The live band was exceptional and had the vast majority of guests on the dance floor pushing to the front. 60s tunes, contemporary numbers and the occasional compilation – all musical appetites were catered for. Plus, the smoking area was neglected for most of the night (though this may just lay testament to the freezing weather).

Overall the ball was well organised, fun and immensely enjoyable. The organisers deserve credit and after asking two fellow guests if they would request a refund, despite complaining about the cost, they said, “No!”

Photos ©Ben Goulter