The Stand Races2 Prague

“After Race2Paris in my first year, I vowed never to do any Race2s again.” Not the most encouraging of words to hear from one half of The Stand’s very own […]

“After Race2Paris in my first year, I vowed never to do any Race2s again.” Not the most encouraging of words to hear from one half of The Stand’s very own Race2Prague team. In the cosy Vic I met our dream duo, Will Land and Laura Brouwer, wise fourth years ready to take on the annual Charities Campaign challenge. The Stand will be following them during the event in January, capturing what could be a successful voyage or the journey from hell…

For the uninitiated, Race2 is a yearly venture supporting a number of charities, which range from local charity, Families First; the national Children’s Hospice Association Scotland; and international Médicins Sans Frontières. The Race pitches groups of students head-to-head in a sponsored hitchhiking challenge, the aim being to raise as much money as possible for the charities and then swiftly get to Prague – with next to no money.

Will and Laura are in the process of collecting sponsors: “If everybody could just give one pound – no more! – this will be possible. For every £100 we raise, we only spend £10 on travel, food, drink or anything else we’re going to need. The £500 mark would feel like we’ve really made some sort of a difference to these charities, (and give us a better chance of actually making it)!”

After Will’s experience with his first Race, he has faith in the people they might meet along the way. “The kindness of strangers is overwhelming when you’re racing. People will go out of their way to drop you off, and on my journey last time we even had donations for ferry tickets. We get certificates endorsed by the university to show we’re legit, and the ridiculous costumes usually help – we don’t know what we’re going to be dressed as yet though…”

Jumping around foreign countries seems terrifying to me but the pair are optimistic. Laura hails from Holland, so her Dutch could come in useful, and Will speaks German, so as long as they try their best to avoid Poland and spend as little time as possible in France, the multiple language barriers between Scotland and Prague won’t be too much of a hindrance. When I ask about the route, their plan is simple: “Lorry drivers at Calais, heading east! You really can’t predict who’s going to pick you up, or if you’re even going to be picked up, or if you’re going to be getting on a train or something instead.”

So are the team ready for the challenge? It would seem so to me, and I congratulate them on their bravery. Though Laura is somewhat dubious… “In a month and a half we’re going to be on the street, probably on the highway in Glasgow, with our thumbs out. What the fuck did I sign myself up for?!”

Will gets it: “Cheap beer.” Touché.

You can support The Stand’s official Race2Prague team by checking out Will and Laura’s Facebook, and their Just Giving page. Look out for updates on their progress!