Five things you must listen to: Week ten

1) Applesauce Animal Collective The full collective are back with the latest relase from their tenth studio album.  2) It’s Too Late Wild Belle Over the years we’ve seen a great tradition […]

1) Applesauce Animal Collective

The full collective are back with the latest relase from their tenth studio album. 

2) It’s Too Late Wild Belle

Over the years we’ve seen a great tradition of great two-piece bands; from The White Stripes, The Kills and Sleigh Bells. Next to take up the mantle is Wild Belle. Their debut EP, complete with a healthy dose of ska influence, is out this week. 

3) Tounge Behind My Teeth The Staves

This trio of beautiful sisters with equally beautiful voices got their big break touring with The Civil Wars and Bon Iver earlier this year. Their debut album Dead & Born & Grown was released last week.

4) Jonti Wild Cub

Recently confirmed as part of next year’s SXSW festival, single Jonti has been re-released this week. 

5) I Always Knew The Vaccines

The British indie darlings return with the third single from their chart-topping second album. 

Classic Album chosen by Lauren Hossack: Origin of Symmetry Muse 

They’ve become something akin to musical Marmite recently, but there’s no denying that Muse are one of the biggest bands of the 21st century.

Released in 2001, Origin of Symmetry was a stiff middle finger to everyone who knocked Muse’s 1999 debut, Showbiz, writing them off as a rip-off Radiohead. It was the work which introduced everyone to Muse’s mad genius, smashing the stereotype and unleashing the musical juggernaut that would charge through their future work. Origin of Symmetry explores many dark themes: paranoia, oppression, and ambivalence over technology all feature, painting a nightmarish picture of life that continues to resonate. Given the events of 2001 onward, it all seems very timely.

Listen to: New Born, Plug in Baby, the new life they breathe into Feeling Good. 

Image: MTV