Stand Up: Bash Lory, Project Pi Creator

So what’s it all about? The event’s called Project Pi, and is in aid of the El Nido High School Fund in the Philippines. How did you first get involved with […]

So what’s it all about?

The event’s called Project Pi, and is in aid of the El Nido High School Fund in the Philippines.

How did you first get involved with the El Nido High School?

I got involved with El Nido National High School last summer. I’d travelled to El Nido, Palawan the year before and after having met so many amazing people in such an astonishingly beautiful environment, I decided to try and find a way of staying in the village for the duration of my summer break. I approached the school and asked them if they would like me to volunteer and spent nearly 3 months teaching at the high school.

What are the main aims of the project and fundraising?

I view this project as a long-term thing and not necessarily limited to El Nido. It will look towards building a ‘model’ school where I hope to explore new methods of educating children, hopefully in collaboration with the Non-Violence Project. 

Fundraising this semester will allow for electricity to be provided in each of the classrooms throughout the day, improved toilet facilities and a sufficient supply of calculators and other science equipment. I will conduct further surveys while I am there again in January to figure out what we will be helping the school with next. 

Can you give us some detail on this event?

The evening will start at 8pm with an introductory speech about the ENHS Fund and what it is we hope to achieve with the funds raised. This will be followed by a screening of a personal video I have created, live music and an assortment of delicious complimentary food.

The members of DON’T WALK and the Non-Violence Project have been very supportive of this and the event, and will both be present on the night.

What can we expect from the evening music-wise?

The evening will involve live music which will eventually fuse with a DJ-set provided by Moodroom collective. B-Sides will also be supporting the event in Ma Bells starting at 10pm.

Project Pi takes place on Wednesday 21 November, please visit here to find out more about the project and buy a ticket by clicking through to Project Pi. All ticket sales go directly towards improving the school and giving the children a brighter future.