Review: The Situation at Sin City

Much like the shore house, Mike Sorrentino was surrounded by fools this Saturday night at Sin City. The event sadly did not reach the capacity that Mr Sorrentino deserves as […]

Much like the shore house, Mike Sorrentino was surrounded by fools this Saturday night at Sin City. The event sadly did not reach the capacity that Mr Sorrentino deserves as a well known (though often not respected) pop culture figure. It is a mystery how a university full of Americans and Canadians, whose taste for reality celebrities is insatiable, was unable to fill the room. I do not fault Mr Sorrentino for this, I blame the event organisers.*

Image

From 10pm it became apparent that the event was not properly advertised. The inaccurate ticket prices promoted to students (£10 rather than £6) deterred many from purchasing a ticket.

Unsurprisingly, Mr Sorrentino travels with quite the entourage, most of which go by unnoticed, however there was one member who stood out. It is hard not to notice a 6ʼ5” man flirting with every scantily clad girl in the room. It was particularly hard not to notice him when he allowed the Sin City shot girls to cut the photo line, bottles in hand, to meet Mr Sorrentino. May I remind you all that Mr Sorrentino recently completed a stint in rehab. With respect to his sobriety, I can faithfully report that, despite his stupid friends, he did not touch a single drop of liquid beyond water. Yet, from my knowledge of maintaining sobriety, it gets much harder when your friends shove half naked shot girls in your face. Who could say no to that?!

Thankfully, in the case of the shot girl debacle, the star’s manager stepped in to remove the bottles. It occurred to me at this point that The Situation’s sobriety should have been safe in the hands of security guards yet they appeared totally unaware of the situation (had to be done) regarding alcohol. 

On a positive note, Mr Sorrentino was nicer than anyone expected. His bad-boy, out of control persona on Jersey Shore is little more than a character he plays. It takes a particularly nice man to stand through 400 photos with St Andrews’ finest  (all of varying degrees of cleanliness) and not flip a shit. He put on a happy face and spoke with everyone who engaged him. It was somewhat sad to see a man who had been through so much recently, regardless of his checkered past, thrown to the wolves. He seemed to have matured past his reality TV shenanigans, and come out the other side a legitimately nice man. 

The event also featured the less known member of the Sorrentino family, Marc “The Man” Sorrentino. His DJ set was overshadowed by The Situation’s presence and seemed to be little more than background music to the long wait in the photo line. He played the expected mixes of Electro-House, reminiscent of Karma and Aztec. Sadly, this crowd did not feel inspired to fist pump or Jersey Turnpike. However, the controversial Sin City dancers did seem to be in their element with “The Man’s” DJ set.

When this reporter realised what it required to get a word with Mike, I took off my hoops and pushed my way through the crowd of bare breasts surrounding Mr Sorrentino. I screamed that I worked for a student newspaper and we had been promised an interview that had then been denied and would he mind answering a few quick questions at the end. He politely signaled that his handlers would not have it. So I asked one of the many questions I had prepared. Why did this one pop into my head? Probably the stress.

I asked how many sneakers he had. Not the most profound I know, but imagine my attitude at this point. He smiled and said “hundreds”. I fainted a little. I asked my next hard hitting question. Which pair is your favorite. The response was provocative, “Air Yeezyʼs”.

*The Situation is a very nice man, I still love him

images © Neha Shastry