Hamilton Grand costs more than its name

There are posh things about St. Andrews, and then there are the soon-to-be finished 26 Hamilton Grand apartments overlooking the Old Course. Owned by Herb Kohler (that’s right, the bold […]

There are posh things about St. Andrews, and then there are the soon-to-be finished 26 Hamilton Grand apartments overlooking the Old Course.

Owned by Herb Kohler (that’s right, the bold look of Kohler, Kohler) through his company the Old Course Ltd, these apartments will no longer be offered as long-term leases, but rather as permanent flats in their own luxurious – as much as  £7.3 million – right.

According to www.hamiltongrand.co.uk, owner privileges includes access to the links, the Kohler Waters Spa at the Old Course Hotel, resident concierge, daily maid service, ‘luxury transportation’, and, for those who need an extra push to live as comfortably as possible, a personal assistant to ‘manage all details’ including ‘transportation, groceries, private chef, spa treatments, etc.’. Not too shabby.

The company’s management have said that the decision to sell, sell, sell has been made in light of global economic woes. ‘Given the current economic climate and its impact on the real estate business, potential purchasers are looking for a familiar form of long-term ownership and for a return on investment. Allowing freehold purchases of units will satisfy this demand,’ wrote the Old Course Ltd hospitality and real estate group, Debbie Taylor, in a letter addressed to the Fife Council.

The target market for the new apartments are, who else, millionaire golfers from Asia, South Africa and the US. Potential buyers aren’t disappointing either, a spokeswoman for the Old Course Hotel told The Courier that a third of the apartments have been ‘reserved’.

According to the same spokeswoman, the St. Andrews community will be ‘consulted’ in early December. So if you’re in the market for the creme de la creme of the flat rat race or would prefer to crusade against such blatantly capitalist endeavours, now is the time to develop your case.

Image courtesy of stvNews