SS13 Fashion Week trends

Autumn is well and truly upon us. Scarves are cosily wrapped around necks, boots are creeping higher and higher toward our knees and arguments have ensued in houses all around […]

Autumn is well and truly upon us. Scarves are cosily wrapped around necks, boots are creeping higher and higher toward our knees and arguments have ensued in houses all around town about heating. In spite of all of the AW12/13 excitement, with many of us running out and buying animal jumpers, SS13 has given us so much to look forward to.

Aside from Raf Simmons’ rapturous debut as Dior’s creative director and Preen’s return to the London timetable, the Fashion Weeks of London, Paris, Milan and New York have more than tantalized us with the breezy freedom of summer dresses and challenging bag trends.

Here’s the SS13 Fashion Week key trends!

Sixties Cool

As seen at Louis Vuitton, Markus Lupfer, Tom Ford

Image

Vuitton’s captivating escalator installation took inspiration from the artist Daniel Buren and his work. For the St Andrews take on this movement, grab some friends, a selection of yellow, white and black geometrically printed two-pieces and move everywhere in pairs.

Cropped Trousers

As seen at Prada, Miu Miu, Fendi

Usually the reserve of gamine, French women looking achingly elegant, soon to be seen gracing Market Street. Ankle cleavage is definitely something to get excited about. Go classic with ballet flats or try with a slight heel to make your legs look that extra bit longer.

The Jacket Dress

As seen at Christian Dior

As we’ve said at The Stand before, “dress smart, think smart” and what better way to do it than by updating this sartorial classic. Raf Simmons plays with proportions by adding a playful ballooned skirt to this Dior staple.

Florals

As seen at Holly Fulton, Erdem

One minute it’s raining, the next it’s sunny. Don’t let yourself get caught out by the East Fife weather by investing in Holly Fulton’s see-through mac with blue painted flowers – style and function.

Keeping it oversized

Not only were some very modern silhouettes seen at the Chanel show, with a seductive-chic take on the classic tweed two-piece along with just a smattering of cobalt, also one of the key colours for AW12.

As seen at Chanel

One item that was sure to turn heads was the ‘hula-hoop’ bag which defied common decency, though it could be argued, is the perfect thing to carry all those books around after a string of midnight sessions down at the library.

One to watch out for: Dion Lee

Taking neoprene to a whole new level by creating some fabulous tailored blazers in summery pastel colours.

On top of the weather, I can’t wait to see these trends making their way down St Andrews’ very own catwalk: the library foyer.

Photography ©style.com and vogue.com