The Standtorialist: The Raisin Weekend wardrobe

After a very interesting weekend of drunken adventures at Bongo and my very own revenge Raisin, The Standtorialist is back with some of St Andrews’ incredible Raisin costumes. Although it […]

After a very interesting weekend of drunken adventures at Bongo and my very own revenge Raisin, The Standtorialist is back with some of St Andrews’ incredible Raisin costumes. Although it is only my second year at the University, I must admit that the costumes I see around town so early on Raisin Monday never cease to amaze me. But what were the Raisin 2012 trends? Which costumes were spotted most around town? And which ones were most talked about during the days after? Well, I am here to answer exactly those questions for you.

Image

The Avatars: a rather popular costume this year, although this family really went all out with the blue paint. As you can see in the background, there were more than just these few who made their way around town. I must admit that I very much enjoyed the sight of St Andrews’ very own Avatars.

Another surprisingly popular costume this year was Gru’s (Despicable Me‘s main character) helpers. This costume was not only original, but also turned out to be rather practical, as we can see with these two lovely first years who used their front pockets to carry the back-up foam bottles.

One of my favourites this year was most definitely the Noah’s Ark. Throughout the procession I believe I saw about four Noah’s Ark families making their way to the quad, and I must say that each and every one of them was incredible.

Pacman with the ghosts (Pinky and Inky) were there to bring us all back to our childhood game obsessions this year. I can only imagine how many hours their academic mom must have spent cutting and colouring their costumes.

I think that this costume really says everything there is to say. This lucky fresher has definitely had the honour of wearing the costume most people have talked about over the past few days, and could not be missed in the foam fight. Personally, I loved it, and I think that we will be seeing more of these in the years to come.

The Pope. Yes, as in previous years many of the academic fathers did decide to make their kids carry them around town, and this particular one went all out. A stable chair, four strong first years, and you have got the academic family with the most attention on them as they made their way to the quad.

The Seven Dwarves (or in this case, five dwarves) were also incredibly popular this year. Not only is this a very cute costume, but it is also a warm one, which we all know is important when you need to be in a foam fight in the scottish weather.

Last but not least, we have the Smurfs costume. As with the Avatars, the academic moms definitely did not go easy on the blue paint, and I was able to spot tons of these cute little blue Smurfs making their way around town. This particular one struck my attention with her beautifully made mushroom.