Review: Baby Bottle Cosmo

Baby Bottle Cosmo is Tim Foley’s fourth and final production for St Andrews. Described as a dark comedy following two sets of gay parents, the play begins with Sandra and […]

Baby Bottle Cosmo is Tim Foley’s fourth and final production for St Andrews. Described as a dark comedy following two sets of gay parents, the play begins with Sandra and Frank Clark visiting the home of Frankie ‘De Williams’ in order to discuss the implications of his son’s involvement in an ‘incident’.

Foley clearly enjoys playing with his audience. The characters tried in frustration to find answers to their own questions, leaving the audience in a state of confusion for much of the play. Indeed, during the interval many audience members were spotted turning to their friends to see if they were equally confused. If Molly isn’t Frankie’s wife then who is she? Who’s Polly? What on earth has Potty Piggy got to do with anything?  We need not have feared as ample answers were provided in the play’s moving denouement. Additionally, the second half of the play became a vehicle for Foley to explore the problems associated with gay parenting and, in particular, the fight for gay parents to prove themselves as capable.  

Image

The play was at once comedic and touching. Many of the laughs came from the one-liners and sexual innuendos provided by Frankie De Williams, played by Frazer Hadfield whose physicality and stage presence was fantastic, particularly his camp, mincing walk. It was also his lines which allowed for some of the play’s most heart-wrenching moments as his mental breakdown was chronicled, and Hadfield showed impressive range in his ability to balance these overtly comedic and then more subtle moments. Mandarr Brandi should also be praised for her interpretation of the placid Frank Carter, which provided a great contrast to Mimi von Schack’s highly-strung Sandra Carter.

If the standing ovation received at curtain call is anything to go by, Foley can certainly feel proud of his final St Andrews production.

‘Baby Bottle Cosmo’ continues tonight at 8pm at the Byre. Tickets are £5.