Stand Up: Elena Georgalla on Gender Equality Week

So what’s Gender Equality Week all about? 
Gender Equality Week is all about encouraging a dialogue between women and men on gender-related issues. Attention: not to be confused with ‘feminist […]

Gender Equality Week is all about encouraging a dialogue between women and men on gender-related issues. Attention: not to be confused with ‘feminist week’. Men have a gender too!

This is the first time Gender Equality Week has ever happened – why now?

Good question. Often in the past gender issues were included in the activities of SHAG week or Rape Awareness week. However, since it is already a very broad topic I thought it deserved its own week.

What are the main issues we should be aware of?

Issues of gender equality and gender-based discrimination affect everyone, directly or indirectly. Gender Equality Week tries to encompass a variety of issues such as gender equality in leadership positions, stereotyping and gender discrimination at university level, the role of men, and gender-based violence.

Are men and women really equal?

Nope. Equality should be a given. But it’s not. Check out the points argued by Ms. Julia Gillard, PM of Australia. She made a good case about it recently.

How can students get involved?

Just come to our events! Also, if you wish to report certain behaviours, mentalities or even events you find offensive you can always contact me and request to bring it up with the SRC.

What 3 events can we simply not afford to miss this week? 

1. ‘Be the change you want to see in the world – NO EXCUSES!’ This is an encounter (not just another talk!) with Madi Sharma, distinguished British entrepreneur and social rights activist. She’s coming to St Andrews all the way from Brussels where she serves as an advisor to the European Commission on issues of entrepreneurship and gender equality. She’s amazing, this is the fourth time I will see her speak. Enough said! 
Wednesday 24th, 7pm at School 2 (free).

2. Gender Equality Week closing party/Raisin Orphans party. On Raisin Sunday we are offering an alternative to all those who have had enough of the alcohol-infused madness, with live sets from St Andrews musicians. 
Sunday 28th, 9pm, Beer Bar @ the Union.

3. Women 4 Women film screening ‘Dispatches: Iraq – The Women’s story’.
 Thursday 25th, 7:30pm in School I.

Tell it like it is: who runs the world?

Goldman Sachs.

I was just joking, that was actually a trick question! Interesting answer. Do you think Beyoncé should alter her lyrics to welcome a gender-equal era ?

My persuasion can build a nation, baby! I mean, the lyrics are awesome. Perhaps the video should change? Some feminists have argued that it suggests that women, just on the strength of their lingerie-dressed hyper-femininity, will rise again under her glamorous leadership and create some kind of New World Order.

What else can we expect from you in the academic year?

Right now I’m working on a survey to map gender-based violence and the extent to which it is prevalent in St Andrews. Later in the year, there are plans to campaign for a ‘zero tolerance’ campus. I’ll keep you posted!

Get involved with Gender Equality Week here