Po-po(fessors) recruited for Raisin

The youths of St Andrews will be kept in line by more than just police on this year’s Raisin Sunday*… They will be under the supervision of UNIVERSITY STAFF. On […]

The youths of St Andrews will be kept in line by more than just police on this year’s Raisin Sunday*… They will be under the supervision of UNIVERSITY STAFF.

On 16th October, the university sent an email to all staff saying that they are seeking extra support for police patrols during all madness. They require staff members who’d be willing to administer ‘in-house discipline procedures to students who disregard [the] requirement for respectful behaviour.’ Not only may your tutor give you a bad mark on that essay you slaved (or not) over, but now they can handcuff yo ass (or give you a good telling off).

The university’s ‘hard line’ approach demands ‘respect’ and ‘consideration’. So, as the Student Association put it: ‘don’t break the law, or any of the bylaws of the town. You wouldn’t do it on any other night, and if anything, it’s more stupid to do it on Raisin Weekend when there will be a large police presence.’* And don’t forget the University Staff Forces.

“Whaaaaaaat? It’s bad enough that Fife Council won’t let anywhere have a license past 1am, and that police are banging on the door as soon as someone plays music and there’s more than ten people in a house. It’s just general sh**ness.” Well said, 2nd year Alexa, well said.

‘Operation po-po(fessors?) 5-0’ will take place between 2pm and midnight on Sunday 28th October.

*Our emphasis.

*This article has been amended to correct an error: originally it stated here that university staff would volunteer on Monday 29th.

Image: David Pearson