Hamish McHamish goes to print

If you have recovered from the sticker-shock of buying your “recommended” reading, now is the perfect time to purchase a story about what some call St. Andrews’ most famous resident—Hamish […]

If you have recovered from the sticker-shock of buying your “recommended” reading, now is the perfect time to purchase a story about what some call St. Andrews’ most famous resident—Hamish the cat.

Today you can pop by local shops to pick up your £8.99 copy of Susan McMullin’s Hamish McHamish, Cool Cat About Town. Alternatively, the book will debut today in Waterstone’s.

Hamish the ginger cat has gained a reputation over the thirteen years of his existence as a local celebrity and is well known to students and townspeople alike.

As quoted on his Facebook page (to an audience of over 3,100 friends), “I roam the streets of St. Andrews looking for food, shelter and company.” Hamish also explains that he sneaks into classes only when he’s “really, really bored.”

Some have gone so far as to suggest that no shop can be considered a success until Hamish has paid a visit.

Originally owned by a St. Andrews resident named Marianne, Hamish left home when he was one. His only interaction with Marianne (who has since purchased a dog) is the yearly veterinary visit they make together.

“I decided it would be fun to write a book about St. Andrews’ most famous resident.” Marianne told the Daily Record. “I wrote it because Hamish is a remarkable cat and deserves to be celebrated.”

Image courtesy of Hamish McHamish Facebook