Review: Bringing the ‘Party’ to us

This production promised great things. But could Joe Fleming and his cast deliver in the eyes of an eager electorate? Or would we have another student fees fiasco on our […]

This production promised great things. But could Joe Fleming and his cast deliver in the eyes of an eager electorate? Or would we have another student fees fiasco on our hands?

Well, to misquote Barack Obama, as the characters happily do, “Yes, they did.” The cast, composed of the cream of St Andrews’ comedic crop, relished their roles as the bright-eyed and dim-witted politicians of tomorrow; a rag-tag group of university students planning a major political overhaul inside a garden shed. If only they can decide upon a name, leader or indeed policy.

Christy White-Spunner, looking suspiciously like the cool younger sibling of the Miliband brothers whom they locked away because of his Che Guevara t-shirt and his questionable attitudes to women, sustains a wonderfully deadpan delivery throughout. Amanda Litherland, who uses her wheelie-chair like a chariot and her voice like a cracking whip, pushes her absurd character to the limit, as does Oli Clayton, particularly in their electrically silly exchanges about coffee branding. And the latter gives a convincing, if unexpected, turn as a confused macho man (a political scandal waiting to happen).

Image

Shayna Layton is also enjoyable in her, albeit limited, role. Her timing and hint of sexual frisson is engaging, even if she’s overshadowed by louder characters. Fleming is suitably pathetic and hilarious as the manipulated newcomer who comes out on top. Somehow, he even manages to make carrying water one of the play’s highlights.

Together the cast’s rhythm and chemistry kept the whole thing ticking over. While there were only the few odd belly laughs, there was a near constant stream of chuckles and grins from the audience. One was never more than a minute away from the next solidly delivered punchline. And unfortunately, like a politician’s fidelity, it all ended too soon (political satire; you’re welcome).

Also, due credit must be given to Fleming and Laura Ferguson, the co-director, for their subtle tweaking of the script. There are some lovely details, perfectly chosen for a St Andrews audience; an IR student (the likeable Sam Peach, whose presence on stage was all too short) rushing in to give his two semester’s worth of world-saving advice; a cheeky red gown; and a sly, blink-and-you’ll-miss-it rector reference.

However, clever as it was (watch out for an AV-based plot twist) this satire never seemed to bite. At times it chewed with its mouth open, but it never bit. Consequently, ‘Party’ can feel restrained, middle-class, polite. Jokes that could have been edgier, jokes about China, Muslims, the working-class, gays etc. fall within the parameters of good taste once too often. If only it had loosened its skeleton tie a little…

But, based on early poll ratings, this play has certainly secured the student vote – a task well beyond the reach of many actual politicians. 

Catch ‘Party’ at the Byre tonight, 8pm, for £5. It would be, politically and otherwise, incorrect not to.

Image: Jake Threadgould