Ask Maggie: where’s revision week gone???

Dear Maggie, I am STREEESSED. I did not have any say in the changes to the academic calendar this year and, to be frank, they don’t suit me. I am […]

Dear Maggie,

I am STREEESSED. I did not have any say in the changes to the academic calendar this year and, to be frank, they don’t suit me. I am in 4th year and it’s stressful enough without losing Reading Week, which I have used every other year to help me catch up or stay on top of things. How on earth am I supposed to cope this year – my final year? And the same goes for the exams – I rely on Christmas break to do all my revision but this year am expected to do my exams before then. When am I supposed to revise??? And I have dyslexia which means it takes longer for me to read things. I think it’s ridiculous that I have had no say in what happens and yet, being in 4th year, I feel most affected.

I can feel your pain! All those 1st years who have no idea about what went before will just have to get on and do the necessary. But all those in other years, like you, will have to re-think how they manage things. Tough, that’s for sure. Mind you, I think some people used Reading Week for anything but reading… I guess it is about some serious time management and re-jigging your planning, whilst trying to keep those stress levels from going through the roof. All easier said than done, I know.

If you think you could do with some help with time management/study skills, you could contact CAPOD; they can help with that side of things. As far as revision for exams is concerned, this has been factored into the calendar from Monday 3rd December (which is really from Saturday 1st December) until the exam diet begins on Monday 10th December. So those ten days are something, I guess.

You mention dyslexia – I take it that you have registered again with the Disability Team in Student Services? If not, make sure to do that as soon as possible so that you get the correct exam provisions you need. And of course, as far as exam stress is concerned, you could come in to or email Student Services to talk about that and get some tips on how to handle that damn anxiety.

Another thing you might want to do, if you really do think this change to the calendar is unhelpful or if you feel that the students were not adequately consulted, is speak to your elected representatives in the Students’ Association, either your President, Freddie or the Director of Representation, Amanda. But why not try it out first and see what you think afterwards? Oh, and there is a bright side – the whole of January with NO revision, no exams and no studies. So plan on using that time as a reward for successfully handling these changes to the timetable! After all, it is your 4th year – you might as well make the most of it!