St Andrews slides in university world rankings

St Andrews falls from the 85th to the 108th university in the world. St Andrews has fallen in the World University Rankings, dropping from 85th to a meager 108th. Out […]

St Andrews falls from the 85th to the 108th university in the world.

St Andrews has fallen in the World University Rankings, dropping from 85th to a meager 108th.

Out of all of the Scottish universities that made the table, only Edinburgh increased in rank, from 36th to 32nd. On the bright side, we can take solace in the fact that St Andrews outranked Glasgow (139th), Aberdeen (176th), and Dundee… who didn’t even make this year’s top 200.

The universities were ranked based on their teaching, research, the influence of that research, innovation, and international outlook. Not surprisingly, St Andrews ranked quite highly in international outlook, however failed to do as well in other areas (although, one might add that as a teensy-tiny university we are unlikely to ever produce as much ‘referenced research’ or as many topics of research as a much larger university… Not to be defensive or anything).

The Stand eagerly awaits the survey’s next edition, where universities are ranked on the percentage of students wearing red trousers and the number of charity balls hosted.

Image © The World University Rankings