Dunhill Celebrity Madness

While Dunhill was happening, everybody talked about all the celebrities they had seen and how exciting it was. But I, honestly, don’t understand why it is so exciting. Celebrities are […]

While Dunhill was happening, everybody talked about all the celebrities they had seen and how exciting it was. But I, honestly, don’t understand why it is so exciting. Celebrities are only people like you and me. I pity people who lose all rationale and self-respect when they see one. I can understand being excited to meet someone who has actually achieved something, such as Stephanie Logsdon who made the world’s largest mosaic entirely out of jellybeans, but most celebrities are merely symbols of our own obsession with fame.

Having said that, it was only the other day I found myself envying a friend of mine who, working at the Dunhill, had ignorantly waited on Bill Murray’s table. I then became even more confused by my emotions when I looked at her in anger for not knowing who he was, not asking for an autograph, photograph, or even stealing his used napkin (for me).

There was also an occasion when I acted just as star struck as those celeb-stalkers I judge so harshly. When I met Ashley Tisdale (for those of you who don’t know, she is one of the stars of High School Musical), I was as excited as Louise Richardson was when the KK let girls in. I jumped up and down and practically started hyperventilating. Perhaps Ashley would have viewed this reaction as adorable and flattering had it come from a seven-year-old. Unfortunately for me, she just looked at me like I had escaped from an institution.

Image

And so it seems I am just like everybody else, which is why I decided to embrace my love for celebrities and to stop pretending I am above it all. I tried everything I could to make sure I saw at least one famous person. Firstly, I dined every night at Nahm Jims because it was on that Gordon Ramsay TV show (so celebrities will definitely go there because everything and everyone in show business is interlinked – that’s true, right?). Then I threw a raging house party because Tico Torres told BubbleTV that he and Michael Douglas used to knock on the doors of house parties to go in and say hello. Normally, I would find old men joining in at student parties inappropriate and creepy but I was on a mission to see celebrities so I set aside my moral integrity. When that failed, I organised a very high-profile event that generated a lot of press interest. I got Stephanie Logsdon here to make something out of jelly beans in order to catch Hugh Grant’s attention (‘was he even here?’, I hear you ask. He definitely came by after he heard about my event). Did I meet the stars of St Andrews? Perhaps – but if I told you the initmate details… Well, I don’t sell my scandals.

In this little town it seems that everyone has fame fever. I’m tired of fighting it.

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

Images ©Getty Images; Lukasz Krol