Interview: Henry Stanislaw, Moodroom Collective

With the return of Moodroom (previously Minimood) parties at Golf Place and the Vic, will there be any new features from previous Minimood events? Well, it started two years ago […]

With the return of Moodroom (previously Minimood) parties at Golf Place and the Vic, will there be any new features from previous Minimood events?

Well, it started two years ago in Golf Place so it’s really exciting to be back. It felt right there. It features a smaller dance floor so it feels like a house party.  Two years ago it was two people and now there’s four of us. Its two guys: Alexander Kirkbride and myself one week and then the following week two third years, Sarah Fahs and Clara Engelhardt. It’s a lot of fun. It has a lot of positive energy, which some places don’t have at all. As DJs, we try to have a good time, which translates to the party.

You are also the director of music for FS. What can we look forward to this year in terms of music?

I’m still thinking it through. We’ve been throwing a lot of ideas about creating a sense of drama. The opening event of FS is always looking for a big bang; where everything explodes. I’m thinking of making it more cinematic with a sense of suspense.

You have some of your Moodroom mixes on Soundcloud and you feature artists like Maceo Plex. What are some artists we can look forward to in new mixes?

My sound is going to be consistent. The new mix I’ve been working on has been popular with my friends. Definitely less house music; a little more sporadic sound. Recently, I’ve gotten into more Garage music from New Jersey. There’s been a recent revival of it. It has a more dysfunctional sound about it. Labels from London and Paris have started doing great stuff with it as well.

Image

What are your opinions on the current UK deep house scene with Julio Bashmore and Disclosure?

Julio Bashmore and Disclosure are great. They both have a great sound and are a lot fun. They have a nice way of synthesizing a more dubstep sound with house music.

Do you have any DJ pet peeves?

Last year, people had a lot of fun consistently asking for Levels by Avicii. To the point where people would ask just because I found it annoying. It’s a fun song, just not in line with what we do.  Last year at a party, a girl told me that if I didn’t play Levels right there and then, everyone was going to leave. 

If you could pick any song to be played at your funeral, what would it be?

I would love to have a rave at my funeral. It would be great way to celebrate. I guess it would have to be Hamburg is for Lovers by David August. 

Keep an eye out on Facebook for upcoming Moodroom events at One Golf Place and The Vic on Thursdays. Next one: tonight at The Vice.