Lowdown: Velvet Audio

Who: Velvet Audio Where: Peterhead, Aberdeenshire What: Atmospheric, melodic rock music The lowdown: Velvet Audio formed in 2006. Since then, they’ve gone from playing in their garage to performing on […]

Who: Velvet Audio

Where: Peterhead, Aberdeenshire

What: Atmospheric, melodic rock music

The lowdown: Velvet Audio formed in 2006. Since then, they’ve gone from playing in their garage to performing on stages all over the UK. Last year, as well as releasing their self-titled debut album, they travelled to London to appear in EMI/Roundhouse Records ‘Best of 30/30’ compilation. They were mentored by producer Jagz Kooner who’s worked with Manic Street Preachers, Primal Scream and Kasabian.

Band on band: Ross Graham, vocals/guitar.

“The first album is raw and energetic. Now we’ve got a bigger, more melodic sound. We’re inspired by the old and the new, but our sound comes from modern indie music.

“The best thing is playing gigs away from home. Being somewhere completely new and getting a good response from the crowd is really inspiring; it makes you want to travel.

“We’ve spent three months not doing very much, but if we’d kept on going, the next album would just sound like the last one. We’ve got 5 new songs just now, but we want as many as possible to release early next year, or into the summer. There’s no need to rush it. We like having the freedom to do everything by ourselves.”

Trivia: The band is comprised of two sets of brothers.  

Top tracks: Mr Mime, Nice Cup of Tea, Burn.

Hear ye: Listen on iTunes and Soundcloud. Follow on Twitter @VelvetAudio