Review: Opening Ball, was it worth £35?

I, along with many of my peers had a great night, and they do say “you can’t put a price on happiness”. However, guests only received one inclusive champagne flute, […]

I, along with many of my peers had a great night, and they do say “you can’t put a price on happiness”. However, guests only received one inclusive champagne flute, which did add to the overall glamour of the event, but arguably with the absence of food, one would expect a few more drinks for your buck.

Oddly, the KK organisers opted to supply a medley of ice cream to guests which seemed like a strange choice, bearing in mind it was 4 degrees Celsius and a black tie event. Frozen dairy products, tuxedos and ballroom dresses don’t appear an obvious combination. However, if all profits go to charity, the budgeted replacement of champagne for gelato could be tolerated.

Image

Aside from the ice cream, credit must be given for the level of attention to detail. With a bagpipe playing upon entry, St Salvator’s Quad’s violet illumination and the dressing of the marquee were all details which made a substantial improvement to the overall feel to the event.

The music was mainstream and appreciated. The DJs did a good job, even if there were one or two repeated numbers. The highlights were the occasional house remix, which wetted the alternative music palette. The majority of people were on the dance floor for the most part of the evening, which was a credit to the DJs as the music appreciation certainly wasn’t a result of a readily available supply of complimentary beverages.

Night time entertainment consisted of a mock-interview show, courtesy of our esteemed Bubble TV which gave pseudo-famous students the chance to shine and appeared to hit the metaphorical spot of the aspiring stars of St Andrews. In addition, there was a photo booth with a range of props which was an evident crowd pleaser – almost as popular as the Kate Kennedy organisers themselves.

The event was buzzy, meticulously planned and enjoyable and deserves substantial credit. However, one qualm I had as a male guest was the urinals, and the toilet arrangement in general. It was rather far away and there wasn’t a sink. Yes, there was ethanol disinfectant on tap but few boys used it and it isn’t a replacement for good, old fashioned soap and water. Ladies, sorry to inform you subsequent to any post-prom antics which may have taken place but a retrospective question of hand hygiene might be necessary.

Expensive, well-presented, sophisticated, enjoyable and very ‘St Andrews’ sums up the overall flavour of The Kate Kennedy Charity Ball. All factors considered, the main question is, would I want my £35 refunded now I’ve attended the ball?

The answer would be, no.

Images: Alex Heller & Ben Goulter