Five things you must listen to: week 4

1) Skyfall Adele Cleverly released last Friday at seven minutes past midnight (0.07am, get it?), the latest from the record-breaking songstress with its brooding horns and soaring strings is the epitome of […]

1) Skyfall Adele

Cleverly released last Friday at seven minutes past midnight (0.07am, get it?), the latest from the record-breaking songstress with its brooding horns and soaring strings is the epitome of a classic Bond theme. Let’s just hope the movie is as good!

2) Something Good Alt-J (Δ)

One of the favourites to win this year’s Mercury prize return with latest single, Something Good, about the death of a matador; something not good.

3) Spirits L.T. Pearl

The St Andrews grad offers up another cracking tune. 

4) Northern Lights Allo Darlin’

They may be singing about “the frozen Northern sky”, but it certainly sounds more like autumnal sunshine to me. Perfect for listening to as you’re out and about enjoying the unseasonable weather.

5) Smother Daughter

If you are not enjoying the unseasonable weather and are seeing more of the library than the sunshine through your deadline-panicked glazed-over eyes, just take a deep breath and listen to this. Perhaps more to the instrumentation than the lyrics…

Photo © Anna Gudnason