Folking awesome: St Andrews’ folk & trad society

The Folk and Traditional Music Society was only affiliated late last semester and they had just enough time to assemble a committee and host their first event. This year, they […]

The Folk and Traditional Music Society was only affiliated late last semester and they had just enough time to assemble a committee and host their first event. This year, they hope to attract folk fans, old and new, to showcase the best of the folk scene in St Andrews and the surrounding area. 

Like many ventures, the society began when an opportunity presented itself. Josie Guthrie, the society’s President, told us how FolkSoc came to be: “there seemed to be a gap in the market. There was a lot going on in St Andrews that people just never knew about, like workshops at the music centre and concerts at the Byre. The original idea was just to let people know about those.”

Since the initial conception of the society last spring, it’s grown into much more than just a way to publicise events. So far, they’ve hosted two sessions where anyone can turn up and play along with other musicians – or just watch and enjoy. The session held during Fresher’s Week drew a crowd of people playing all sorts of instruments, from guitars and violins to the harp and saxophone. “We’re open to absolutely anyone,” says Josie, “existing members play a mixture of Scottish and Irish music but we’re open to any kind.”

By no means are the sessions the only way the society is helping musicians to play and improve. The aforementioned workshops are something the society is keen to facilitate for its members:  “we’ve all sorts of things lined up, for beginners, or more advanced musicians. We’d like to get some tutors in to run workshops and we have a singing teacher lined up if the interest is there.”

Though so far, events have focused on members performing music, you don’t need to actually play an instrument to get involved. The society is also ‘dedicated to promoting folk and traditional music in St Andrews’. As well as playing it, they cater to those who want to listen and watch professionals, and perhaps even write about it. “Every Tuesday we meet for informal socials in the Whey Pat for the folk music session they hold. We’re going to arrange trips to gigs in a big group and we’re hoping to start a folk music blog, as a starting point if it’s something you want to get into.”

It’s an exciting time for this society. There’s lots of scope for expansion and Josie seems keen to capitalise on this. It seems that FolkSoc is one society that’s going to be folking awesome indeed.

Image ©Heather Penman