Stand Up: Nathan Ruby, Environmental and Ethics Officer

The Stand asked Nate how he wanted to do this and the reply was: “Let’s do the interview gangnam style over facebook chat.” So that’s what we did. Where are you […]

The Stand asked Nate how he wanted to do this and the reply was: “Let’s do the interview gangnam style over facebook chat.” So that’s what we did.

Where are you from?

I’m from the south side of Chicago.

What do you study?

International shit.

What is your role within the Union?

Environmental and Ethics Officer.

Image

What do you do when you’re not promoting environmental issues and all things green?

I play on a six-a-side football team called The Dragons. I also play music in a couple of groups like Ghostpony and Heliovore. I crash cross country socials and I play a fair bit of Frisbee.

Who is your favourite Teletubby?

Po. He is the coolest, we used to dress up my little brother as him…her?

How are the dreadlocks going?

I’ve only got six or seven so far but they are all almost long enough to go into a bun, so I think it might be time to do the whole thing.

Onto the serious stuff…what is Green Week all about?

Green Week is all about education. And a little bit about bike-powered smoothies. Actually, quite a bit about bike powered smoothies. 

It’s also a celebration of sustainability. It’s a chance for societies and community groups to get their message out to the students, as well as the town as a whole. Despite the huge movement towards environmental awareness within St Andrews, there are a surprising number of people who are unaware of issues such as climate change, loss of bio-diversity and animal cruelty. Many are unaware of what they can do to help improve the situation. We’re attempting to do something about that this week.

Explain a bit more about the bike-powered smoothies…

They will be around tomorrow from 12 – 2pm outside the Union. They are organised by Fife Diet – an organisation promoting the eating of local foods and consumption of locally produced energy. They will have a bike. You can ride it and make a smoothie with the power you generate. What a great pick-me-up!

How else can people get involved in Green Week?

Apart from the bike-powered smoothies, if they are curious about attending something just check the events on Facebook, or have a look at the big poster in front of the Union.

What other events and campaigns are you promoting after Green Week?

On Sunday, we are hosting Reclaim Energy in the Union. This is a national People and Planet gathering in the Union to talk about issues such as tar sands and fracking.

Sweet. Anything else we should know about?

There is a new community garden which is now well underway near Albany Park. This was initiated entirely by students. David Bowers has come up with a plan to recycle used condoms and shoelaces, and we are pitching that as a big thing in second semester. It’s going to be awesome.

Any closing or witty remarks?

Tut tut, it looks like rain.