What to wear to… Opening Ball

Gentlemen, it’s black tie, and as it’s James Bond’s 50th Anniversary on Friday, why not make like the man: silk lapels and turn-back cuffs, hand-tied bow ties, flashy cufflinks; very […]

Gentlemen, it’s black tie, and as it’s James Bond’s 50th Anniversary on Friday, why not make like the man: silk lapels and turn-back cuffs, hand-tied bow ties, flashy cufflinks; very dapper. Aside from that, if you’re feeling that you don’t want to blend in with the crowd, you could dare to be (a little) different in the classic tartan trews or a kilt, even a velvet smoking jacket will see you through the night in style. Or you could spend your Saturday (not in the Jigger celeb spotting) scouring the charity shops for a funky bow tie. Either way, you guys have it easy so don’t take it for granted.

The main thing I would say to ladies is, for God’s sake, don’t wear a ballgown – one of those full length, satin, puffy affairs complete with tiara.  Every year, a handful of girls make this catastrophic error and you can’t help but feel sorry for them as they stand by the side of the dance floor, clutching their clutches, looking awkward and hoping someone will ask them to dance (it’s 2012, come on, chivalry is dead). Aside from that, you can’t go far wrong with the ‘fresher uniform’ of a short dress and heels. If, however,  you want to buck the trend, try a jumpsuit in winter florals – no worry of your skirt blowing up in the bitter St Andrean wind, but then there is the problem of going to the loo. You could follow the theme of Friday and dress like a Bond-girl and (although this does mostly involve wearing a bikini and, if you were in any doubt, this is NOT appropriate) go for a sexy take on a classic dress; slits should be involved. Accessory-wise, spice up that old favourite with a bit of bling: the bigger the earrings the better (H&M are fab for these at the moment), or a statement necklace.

So there you have it, go forth in your teeny tiny cocktail dresses and be merry, for there is a champagne reception and much more in store. You never know, your outfit might just catch the eye of someone who is mildly attractive and doesn’t mind spending the night in a single bed in halls…