The celebrities are coming!

It’s that time of year again; a time when excitement levels increase exponentially for both golf enthusiasts and celebrity stalkers alike. The Alfred Dunhill Links Championship is upon us. For […]

It’s that time of year again; a time when excitement levels increase exponentially for both golf enthusiasts and celebrity stalkers alike. The Alfred Dunhill Links Championship is upon us.

For those of you with no interest in golf whatsoever, the Dunhill Championship’s Amateur Competitors are the most appealing. In the past, Dunhill has attracted stars such as Hugh Grant and Samuel L Jackson, and students have flocked to try and get that coveted picture with their favourite star (though Hugh took that a little too far). This year Michael Phelps will be taking a break from swimming to try his hand at golf, along with fellow Olympians Oscar Pistorius, Sir Steve Redgrave and Sir Matthew Pinsent. Aside from famous athletes, actor Greg Kinnear will be here, along with musician Huey Lewis.

3rd Year history student Lewis Harding added, “I hope I get to meet Michael Phelps, he seems like the type of guy who likes to party. However, I’m fine settling for Samuel L. Jackson, as long as he recites his monologue from Pulp Fiction.”

Interest in the championship is pretty self-explanatory; it is one of the world’s most prestigious golf events. While the amateurs play a team event, for the professionals this is serious business. Among the pros are Ernie Els, Darren Clarke and Padraig Harrington, who will all be competing for the $5 million prize fund.

The championship will take place on the Old Course from Thursday 4 October until Sunday the 7th, and whatever your reason for being there, it is sure not to disappoint.

Photo © thecourier.co.uk