Charity-shop-challenge

Ok, I’ll admit it, when it comes to clothing, I’m very selective. I’m a brandonite, an elitist and ultimately a bit of a hipster. I’d be lying if I said […]

Ok, I’ll admit it, when it comes to clothing, I’m very selective. I’m a brandonite, an elitist and ultimately a bit of a hipster. I’d be lying if I said my wardrobe didn’t mainly consist of UO’s latest drop and whatever new street-wear company has caught my eye on tumblr. There, I said it. Although I have a passion for clothing and searching out trends, my sources are limited. I’m the kind of guy that won’t shop at Topman or H&M, but will spend hours on an array of menswear blogs. Charity shops are a kind of unexplored territory for me. So when the Stand fashion team sent me on a sartorial quest, deep into the world of St Andrews’ charity shop scene, you can imagine I was at a bit of a loss.

This Tommy Hilfiger trench coat was the first item I found and with its classic detailing and great condition, I just knew it was to be the foundation of my outfit. For £35 this timeless classic is an absolute bargain, and is sure to keep away those endless North Sea gales currently embracing the town.  

Image

From then on, it was clear what direction the outfit would take. I’m just going to clarify, I’m not preppy in the slightest, but constructing this smart, yet stylish look was surprisingly easy. I also have to admit I was a little surprised at the brands that I was finding on the shelves of the shop. The shirt is vintage Austin Reed, and was extremely comfortable.

The tie was quite the find, continuing along the preppy theme, it just had to be a part of the outfit and for £3, where could you go wrong? The Clarkes loafers just leapt off the shelves, instantly adding a relaxed yet sophisticated finish to the look I was going for.

But what of the shop itself? Those who are unaware of Cancer Research UK’s work, they’re a truly excellent charity! Formed in 2004, they are almost entirely funded by the public and have over 40,000 volunteers. Their main aims are research into the prevention of the disease (last year they spent £332 million on research projects) and promoting cancer awareness.

Well there you have it, an outfit perfect for St Andrews’ preppy scene, without the hefty price tag. What’s more we supported a fantastic charity in the process and found some vintage classics buried deep in the shelves. What did I take away from what was realistically my first charity shopping experience? Firstly, I was surprised at the ease of putting this outfit together. Secondly, keep an open mind, you never know what brands might be hiding away at a seriously reduced price.

Photography ©Kenna Bisset