Sports Centre Development: Pitch Perfect?

Why such chaos? It’s the latest AU development: a 3G artificial pitch. Surprisingly, the sports centre isn’t setting up a battle ground for mobile phone gamers on their 3G phones. […]

Why such chaos? It’s the latest AU development: a 3G artificial pitch. Surprisingly, the sports centre isn’t setting up a battle ground for mobile phone gamers on their 3G phones. It’s a third generation synthetic turf, which plays similarly to grass and unlike AstroTurf, won’t leave you needing a skin graft if you fall.

The surface, currently under construction inside the racing track, will primarily benefit the sports of football, rugby, shinty, athletics and lacrosse. It aims to meet the increased demands of these popular sports by giving guaranteed practice facilities until late at night.

At the moment, the track floodlights are only used on two weekdays as the light interferes with the nearby University observatory. A change of lamp will allow the 3G pitch to be used everyday without astronomical disruption, leaving both parties happy.

Importantly, the new material will be able to withstand wild Scottish weather, which has plagued the grass for the last couple of seasons. It is hoped that it will be more turf and less surf: an official end to the days of players needing to strap on scuba gear to tackle waterlogged pitches.

Assistant Director of Sport and Exercise, Ian Gaunt, said, ‘this is a massive deal, a really positive development that will be benefitting hundreds rather than a couple. It’s great that from November, whether first team practice or a kick around, there will be a definite place to play.’

Emily Griffiths, AU President added that ‘It’s an exciting venture that will have a positive impact on students, staff and community.’

This addition is the third stage of the much-needed Sports Centre re-development. The project began last year with the re-laying of the AstroTurf and tennis courts and will culminate in the construction of a brand new sports hall.