The Freshers Guide: what we wish people had warned us about

1) That Freshers Week would not be ‘THE BEST!’ If you’re somebody used to having friends around you who understand, who know your history and get your sense of humour, […]

1) That Freshers Week would not be ‘THE BEST!’

If you’re somebody used to having friends around you who understand, who know your history and get your sense of humour, then don’t feel down when you realise that it will take longer than a week to create this at university. Some people say that they didn’t make good friends until second semester; some say that they don’t even know the people that they spent time with in first year anymore, so don’t fret about awkwardness. But more importantly, don’t feel like you’re an outsider because you aren’t having ‘the BEST time’ during Freshers Week. You aren’t alone.

2) That you don’t need academic parents by the end of your first week

Academic parents are meant to be a kind of friend and/or mentor. Well, at least one of them should be (usually the one you don’t hook up with/have to avoid because you don’t want to hook up with them). Don’t feel pressured to force yourself on a 3rd year and don’t let a 3rd year pressure you into being their kid. If they’re drunk, they probably won’t remember, if they have a hundred kids, they won’t be able to give you all a good Raisin. Be patient. You’re worth it.

3) That umbrellas don’t work in St Andrews

Opening an umbrella in St Andrews is like pressing the red button on a jet-pack. The wind will not let you last long on your feet, it will ensure you still get drenched with rain and not only will it turn your umbrella inside out, it will break it completely. Unless you have a heavy-duty golf one, don’t bother. Get a rain coat with a hood.

Image

4) To get to Argos before everything sells out

If you have rocked up to halls with no duvet, pillow, sheets, extra blanket for when it’s freezing, hangers… etc. etc., then we recommend getting your arse down to Argos ASAP.

5) That it COSTS to lose your matric card or room key

£70 for the key and £15 for the ID, to be exact. Don’t go camping and leave your keys in the wilderness, don’t tuck your matriculation card into your bra at the Union, don’t give your card and key to someone to ‘look after’ at the foam party, don’t leave it on a table at the Freshers Fair, don’t drop it in the toilet when you’re inebriated (or sober, for that matter…) You can’t get another one cut with the spare they give you – they want your money.