Review: Maximo Park – The National Health

“Do I really need to give an introduction?” I must admit, before I begin this article, that Maxïmo Park hold a very special place in my music collection. The teenage […]

“Do I really need to give an introduction?”

I must admit, before I begin this article, that Maxïmo Park hold a very special place in my music collection. The teenage angst band of our generation, it becomes very hard to falter Paul and Co as they produce yet another quality sounding album. The 4th album to come from the Northern band sees them swing towards a melancholy feel, a progression in many ways but also an important echo back to the records that have placed them in such good standing in British music. The whole album has a grown-up feeling to it. Is it the wisdom of an older Smith resounding to his younger, former self? He comments in an interview recently that “We’re in a global recession, and everyone is being bombarded with bouncy, happy music” and that MP wanted to steer clear of this. Does the record do this? Are we away from suit jumping indie rock and into a musically melancholy stage? Let’s have a closer look…

Beginning the record with a slow set up already sets the tone for the album. No pressure building Wrathlike or excitement inducing Girls Who Play Guitars but a slow, enticingly short When I Was Wild, already highlighting the subtext which will run throughout. A shock to the system for many fans but as the second song kicks in, The National Health, MP are back in full swing reminding us why they we jump around our bedrooms to them. Paul turns to highlighting the issues of “Broken Britain” with lines such as “England is sick and I’m a casualty” over the constant erratic changing of time signatures gives this a classic indie rock feel – something which MP specialise in. Paul’s attention to important issues lyrically, however, is something which helps emphasise the maturity of the record (a trait perhaps seen in later Pulp records?). Being the first single from the record, it highlights the shift in MP. Our fave band are growing up (aww).

Straight into the latest single from the band, Hips and Lips and the band are progressing in the same direction as Quicken The Heart. A disco, driving electro intro followed Paul’s details of body parts and there movements. What is it with disjointed reference to body parts? Does Paul believe himself to be the new Tolstoy? Either way there is something undeniably sexy about this and no woman can deny it. One of my favourite traits of Maxïmo Park as a band is their ability to lyrically channel emotions into one liners (“I am young and I am lost”, “It’s her life and her life is worth living”) and I’m sure “You’re a puzzle to me and you always will be” will be shortly joining the hall of fame. A particular gem of a song, it is genius MP strange sexiness at its best.

Moving through the record, The Undercurrents, for me, epitomises the feel of this album. Not to mention the already hit of its acoustic version on Youtube, the song incorporates a humble MP who serenade “I won’t forget the way you forgave me.” The band knew the song had “potential” when guitarist Duncan brought in the riff. The ever subtly titled This Is What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted which has a Russian Literature feel to it, a ringing piano riff and incorporated in the bridge. Ending on the driving Waves of Fear Maxïmo Park end their new record on an adrenaline high, with a song you can easily imagine being chanted back to them by a bouncing audience.

This fourth record continues to reinforce the importance of Maxïmo Park in British music today. I mean, if we don’t have hat wearing, indie rocking frontmen like Paul Smith, what do we have? Boy bands that “claim” they only go “One Direction” and Cheryl “whatever my second name is” Cole. And let’s be truthful: no one wants to live in that world. Long live MP.

Image

Image: 3.bp.blogspot.com