Five things to do this Summer

Festivals: Glastonbury may be cancelled due to all the portaloos being stolen by the Olympics, but fear not for there are still 2012 festivals out there for every taste. Get […]

Festivals: Glastonbury may be cancelled due to all the portaloos being stolen by the Olympics, but fear not for there are still 2012 festivals out there for every taste. Get stuck in to Avicii and David Guetta at Creamfields, Reel Big Fish at Boomtown or Snow Patrol and Nicki Minaj at Scotland’s own T in the Park, to name a few. Summer just isn’t summer without camping, boxed wine and rolling around in the festival mud, so grab your tickets before they sell out.

Olympics: …And speaking of toilet-stealing Olympics, be sure to get involved with the biggest event to hit the UK since 1948 – if you missed out on the frankly extortionate tickets for hallowed events such as the women’s boxing, check the job opportunities here. It’s not too late to grab that once in a lifetime opportunity, not just in London but several locations around the country such as Leeds and Newcastle.

Image

Learn to cook: Utilise the time at home to learn to cook a few signature dishes. The food in the fridge at home was probably not purchased by yourself, so no huge personal financial loss if your duck a l’orange takes a few tries to perfect. Ask mum for some lessons; she’ll probably teach you several useful flavours of soup, and donate strange utensils to next year’s flat.

Read: Be a geek and get ahead with next semester’s reading! It may seem like a waste of free time, but make the most of the better weather (if you’re not Glasgow bound) and take the books outside. Not only will it impress those at home, it will also seem like you’re really taking this degree to the heights of seriousness. Then when September rolls around, you can spend every week night bopping away in the Liz instead of in bed getting to know Wuthering Heights.

Relax: Summer jobs and interning are all very well, but the last year has been spent working your socks off on essays and labs to secure a spot on that Dean’s List. The Stand encourages you to kick back with a tequila sunrise (someplace where you’ll get a tan, if you’re lucky enough) and have a summer of adequate relaxation time, gearing up for another year in the Bubble. Happy holidays!

Photos: © creamfields; telegraph.co.uk; deliciouslyella.com; looktothenorth.wordpress.com