St Andrews grads find good in the world

St Andrews graduates, Robert Gelb and Amy Wallace, along with three other colleagues, have begun an inspiration sensation in the U.S. called, Bus 52. In an interview for CBS This […]

St Andrews graduates, Robert Gelb and Amy Wallace, along with three other colleagues, have begun an inspiration sensation in the U.S. called, Bus 52. In an interview for CBS This Morning, Gelb said that an “increase in bad news” sparked his idea to found a project that highlighted acts of kindness across 48 states.

Having breathed life back into an old blue school bus called Stanley, the five seekers of beneficence set off across the U.S.A. interviewing people whose selflessness forms “stories with inspiration and passion”. The interviews are filmed, edited and posted on their website and YouTube in the form of mini documentaries.

Look out for The Stand​’s own interviews with Gelb and Amy as well as videos of their latest projects on Stand TV.

Occasionally two of the team, Amy&Amy (including our own Amy,) take a break from telling other people’s stories and film their own. So tune in to learn about their child, the soccer-ball-panda (Cast Away, anyone?), or even their thoughts on which is more appealing, the life of a tree or a fish?

But more importantly, each documentary short proves that Good Stuff Happens.

One of The Stand’s favourite webisodes tells of an NGO in Louisianna that teaches differently, giving students the opportunity to get to grips with both “classroom and [building] construction study”. Another tells the story of two women wanting to bring the “peace” knitting gave them to male inmates at a Jessup prison. “They just don’t know they wanna knit” was one of the founders’ responses when told the prisoners wouldn’t be interested.

52 Weeks, 48 States, 100 Inspiring Stories, 1 School Bus. Check it out.