Sean Connery stars in St Andrews documentary

To celebrate the university’s 600th anniversary and help raise donations for the University endowment, Sir Sean Connery has come out of retirement and will once again be gracing our screens […]

To celebrate the university’s 600th anniversary and help raise donations for the University endowment, Sir Sean Connery has come out of retirement and will once again be gracing our screens in the up and coming film, Ever to Excel.

After 600 years the University felt it appropriate to document the history of our beautiful town and its ever evolving student body on the big screen. The film has been called a ‘historical documentary’ and features some of our most notable graduates including Alex Salmond, Oliver Sarkozy and Fay Weldon. Kate and Wills were unfortunately busy at the time of filming (classic them). The film is a homage to the last 600 years. Filled with nostalgia and heartwarming sentimentality, it brings to light the rich history of St Andrews. Having been in retirement for the last few years, Sir Sean felt this was the perfect project to bring him back into the limelight.

Connery originally agreed to do the film as an unseen narrator but inevitably being People’s Magazine “sexiest man of the century” found it hard to stay behind camera. The 81-year-old heart throb, otherwise known as Scotland’s hottest export, is certainly proud of his roots bearing a tattoo that reads “Scotland Forever”. You may know Sean from his role as 007 in such hits as Dr. No or Goldfinger, however, he is quoted as saying that he was “fed up to here with the whole Bond thing”, suggesting Sean has been waiting for the slower paced style of Ever to Excel for a while.

The film premiers in New York this Wednesday where the man himself will be in attendance with our very own Principal Louise Richardson. Once it’s made a splash on the other side of the pond, the hugely anticipated motion picture will make its debut in St Andrews on May 24th (tickets can be reserved here) and will be shown in Edinburgh on June 4th. The Stand has heard rumours that, depending on its success, there may be a sequel entitled Never to Excel and the University is currently in talks with Justin Bieber about a lead role.

Third year Ollie Carr says, “I love the work of Sean Connery, specifically in his role in The Rock, this combined with my enthusiasm for the 600th anniversary makes me very excited about the upcoming documentary.” First year Tarleton Watkins told The Stand that “Mr. Connery blends drama and a glowing cadence as he lends his talent to the St Andrews documentary”. Others were more forthcoming with their thoughts on the legend with third year Samantha Anderson confessing, “he is the voice of Scotland and my erotic dreams”. We hear you Samantha. Let’s hope Sean does too.

Be sure to catch the UK premiere of Ever to Excel on May 24th when it comes to a big screen near you. Until then you can watch the trailer here.