St Andrews to get its own station?

The vision of a St Andrews railway station is one step closer after an independent report confirmed that a St Andrews rail link would pay for itself. In 1969, St […]

The vision of a St Andrews railway station is one step closer after an independent report confirmed that a St Andrews rail link would pay for itself.

In 1969, St Andrews lost its only direct rail station as part of the ‘Beeching Cuts’; massive funding cuts to Britain’s railway system. There have been multiple pushes to reinstate the line, but so far St Andrews remains rail-less. The result of this is the bizarre Hogsmead Station scene we see at the start of each year as students pile into the back of taxis and buses to make their way into town.

Local campaigners for the re-opening of the rail-link, St Andrews Rail Link (Starlink), have been buoyed by a new report by Tata Steel Projects, which shows that that the old line could be reinstated for only £76m and would soon make its costs back once operational.

Starlink also believe that an hourly service could be created that would bring St Andreans to ‘Cupar in 10 minutes, Dunfermline in 49, and Edinburgh Airport interchange in 69.’

Third year Gareth Webb told ​The Stand, “I think it would be wonderful! I just want an easy life and this would definitely make my life easier. It would just make heading home much more simple. For one thing, you wouldn’t have to lug all your bags onto that cramped little bus.”

Caitlin Reid, a second year commented, “If there was a direct link I’d definitely travel around the UK a lot a more. At the moment it stinks! You have to plan your trips quite a long way in advance, but with a train station I’d be far more spontaneous and just hop onto trains.”

While the rail-link has not been approved and would most likely take years to implement, this news will leave many St Andrews Students wondering if the Bubble will finally be popped by a quick and easy train journey to the outside world. (The Stand has its collective fingers crossed).