On the Rocks: Art Works

A painted bath tub? A noisy shower? Some brass monkeys? It could only be the Art Society and St.Art magazine’s joint exhibition ART WORKS taking place this Wednesday (18th April) […]

A painted bath tub? A noisy shower? Some brass monkeys? It could only be the Art Society and St.Art magazine’s joint exhibition ART WORKS taking place this Wednesday (18th April) in and around the Barron Theatre from 8pm.

ImageThis exhibition is the On the Rocks event to satisfy those who thirst for the visual arts. The exhibition encompasses painting, photography, installation, porcelain sculpture and film, including works by the finalists from the 60 Hour Film Blitz. With live music from the Brass Monkeys and freshly squeezed lemonade in addition to all other kinds of visual goodies, the evening is set to put St Andrews’ creative edge proudly on display.

The work has been produced entirely by students of the university and there is clearly a burgeoning community of artistic practitioners in our seaside town.

Exhibition co-ordinator, Juliana Cusack, commented ‘I’m really impressed by the variety of the submissions, in terms of media, the subjects students are tackling and the vision encapsulated by the show. We’re all set for a buzzing opening night and I hope ART WORKS will offer a vibrant and refreshing environment for all who attend.’.

While St Andrews has always been something of an also-ran in the world of international contemporary art centres, The Stand is hoping this exhibition marks the beginning of a renaissance for visual culture in St Andrews and is fully supporting the rumoured petition to bring the latest Guggenheim outpost to the East Neuk of Fife. If that’s not enough culture for one semester, check out the Stereoscope magazine launch in the St Andrews Boathouse on the 4th of May.

Finally, if you’ve found yourself without a bath tub this week, the Department of Health is strongly encouraging you to attend the exhibition.