Five things you must do this week…

The St Andrews Revue and Blind Mirth: Like On the Rocks could get much better? Our favourite St Andrews comedy groups, The St Andrews Revue and Blind Mirth, are returning […]

The St Andrews Revue and Blind Mirth: Like On the Rocks could get much better? Our favourite St Andrews comedy groups, The St Andrews Revue and Blind Mirth, are returning to perform brand new material. So before they race off to the Fringe this summer, The St Andrews Revue is treating us to ‘The Crass Menagerie’ – you know, it’s those people on posters in phone boxes dressed in animal onesies and swearing at you as you walk down the street. Yeah, they really want you to come and watch them on Thursday night at 10:15pm. At their Valentine’s Show, The Stand team left with tears down our faces and wetting our pants. Kind of awkward and kind of hilarious. Tickets are only £3 but GUESS WHAT? For just two more pounds, you can buy a joint ticket to see Blind Mirth perform on Friday night. Blind Mirth are On the Rocks veterans; this is the 4th time they’ve headlined the Byre main stage. This year their show is called, Blind Mirth: Mirth, Wind and Fire and they are promising ‘a night of groovy sketch comedy that’ll have you wishing they had stuck to improv’. So go, buy tickets now before they leave us for the Fringe and the cool ones graduate.

Chariots’ of Fire Fun Run: Hurrah. Charity fundraising that doesn’t involve baking cakes, eating cakes or freezing outside the library selling cakes! A group of St Andrews students, who are climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in the summer, are hoping to raise £40,000 for Childreach by organising the Chariots of Fire Fun Run on West Sands beach. The run is 5km (don’t panic, it’s the length of West Sands and back) and they’ve told us it’s not a ‘race’ (really?). So start stretching in the library, dust off your trainers and do something this weekend for a brilliant cause! Sign up is here.

Squeeze 500 and Swing and Jazz Jam: Squeeze is back! With the fantastic Shiverin’ Sheiks, Electro Swing, Rock ‘n’ Roll and those delicious lemony cocktails that the girls at Squeeze do so well, Squeeze is going to be a jazzy night at the Union. A refreshing change to most nights spent dancing to cheesy Bop tunes – the night is going to close On the Rocks festival in style! Tickets are £5 and will be sold outside the library on Thursday and Friday between 10am-1pm. And to get you in the dancing mood, St Andrews Swing Dance and Jazz Works are teaming up earlier in the night at 7:30pm in Venue 2 to teach you some moves and warm you up for Squeeze!

Golf Ball: With so many balls to choose from promising drinks promotions, dinners students can only dream of, and some DJs that make us feel like we’re back in Ibiza … how do you decide which one to go to? Here at The Stand, we’ve been eyeing up GOLF BALL 2012 for some time now. The Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams have got together to throw a pretty great night. A £35 ticket will get you a three course dinner, some wine, entry into the grand raffle (you never know you might win some clubs… and then you’ll have to play!) and a post-dinner DJ set. With the slogan, ‘Are you ready to Tee Off in style’, why not bluff your way through chat about birdies and opens. Are you ready to Tee Off in style?

Rugby Sevens: The Top Five would be incomplete without a token number on something sporting in St Andrews. This Saturday it’s the Rugby Sevens Tournament – the UK’s biggest student run sports tournament with over 5,000 people expected to attend. Rugby Sevens is famed for the after-party ‘7th Heaven’ held at Kinkell – rugby-players, cider and just a little bit of vomit. So if you didn’t manage to get a Masquerade ticket, we’ve been told fit people don’t need to wear masks, after-party tickets are only £20 for great DJ sets, a rodeo challenge, strawpedo bar and hot food.