Misogynist biologist on New Hall-name-shortlist

Various famous names have been put on a shortlist for the renaming of New Hall, including Sir Patrick Geddes, the 19th century biologist and sociologist. To mark the University’s 600th anniversary, students, […]

Various famous names have been put on a shortlist for the renaming of New Hall, including Sir Patrick Geddes, the 19th century biologist and sociologist.

To mark the University’s 600th anniversary, students, staff and alumni alike have offered their ideas to a list of new names for the residence. New Hall was built 19 years ago and named with the intention that a more imaginative one would follow at some point.

The shortlist comprises of legendary Spanish golfer Seve Ballesteros; the University’s first female graduate, Agnes Forbes Blackadder; abstract artist and honorary graduate, Wilhemina Barns-Graham; and, more controversially, biology professor and town planner, Sir Patrick Geddes. The Stand newsteam found that in his book, The Evolution of Sex, Geddes argues that women lack the energy required to actively participate in society and that they should confine themselves to “reproductive sacrifices”. He goes on to distinguish between “active, energetic, eager” men and “passive, conservative, sluggish” women.

Seeming to disprove Geddes’ argument, the two not-so-sluggish women who’ve made it to the shortlist were quite active participants in society. St Andrews-born Wilhelmina Barns-Graham (1912-2004) was one of the foremost British abstract artists, and Agnes Forbes Blackadder (1875-1964) was notable as the University of St Andrews’ first female graduate (1895). Blackadder went on to achieve great eminence through a distinguished medical career as a consultant dermatologist in London and as radiographer in the Scottish Women’s Hospital at Royaumont, France, during the First World War.

Seve Ballesteros (1957-2011), one of the world’s most recognised and successful professional golfers, is also in the running. Considered by many to be one of the most inspirational figures to grace the Old Course, he won the Open at St Andrews in 1984 and developed strong links and associations with St Andrews. He maintained his links with St Andrews up to his tragically early death in 2011.

Opened in 1993, New Hall is the largest hall of residence building in the University of St Andrews, housing over 550 Undergraduate and Postgraduate students.

The official count will be held today, April 13th, and the winning name will be announced next Monday, April 16th.

Photo: ©panoramio.com