On The Rocks returns

HEY  YOU. Yes, you in the corner, pretending not to eat on the top floor of the library. Read this. It’s better for you than that packet of malteasers. This […]

HEY  YOU. Yes, you in the corner, pretending not to eat on the top floor of the library. Read this. It’s better for you than that packet of malteasers.

This Saturday the On The Rocks festival is back for its 4th year, showcasing the very finest in student drama, film, art, music, comedy, dance and fashion. For those of you new to The Bubble, On The Rocks is an annual student-run arts festival. A highlight of the Spring social calendar, On The Rocks is a week celebrating the creativity of St Andrews students, as well as featuring special performances and events from music and theatre professionals. Since its foundation in 2009 the festival has grown from strength to strength, attracting over 6,000 people in its first year from Fife and across Scotland, as well as securing support from patrons including Dame Judy Dench and Sir Sean Connery.

Running from the 14th – 22nd of April, events this year include a special staging of Macbeth in the Castle and a production of Glengarry Glen Ross, winner of the 1984 Pulitzer Prize for drama, on the Byre main stage. The prestigious Half Cut Film Festival returns, and for all the film-buffs among you another highlight will be the free screening of (St Andrew’s student) Maia Krall Fry’s ‘Ebony Road’ – recent winner of the Best Drama Award at the Portobello Film Festival.  Other events to look forward to are an evening of A Capella and a performance by the University of St Andrews Symphony Orchestra, nights of comedy with Bind Mirth and The St Andrews Revue, the Sitara Fashion Show and a showcase of the very best of student art in the ArtWorks exhibition! The festival wraps up on the 22nd with a traditional Celidh in the Castle and the return of Squeeze 500, for a night of electro swing and cocktails!

Keep checking in with The Stand for up-to-date previews and reviews as the festival gets underway!

Tickets and additional info are available at www.ontherocksfestival.com