Stand up: Out of Order

Out of Order is described as ‘a play about politics, without the politics’. It is an English farce by Ray Cooney about the desperate attempts of a junior minister to […]

Out of Order is described as ‘a play about politics, without the politics’. It is an English farce by Ray Cooney about the desperate attempts of a junior minister to hide an affair from his wife. I sat down with the two, slightly delirious, first-time directors. Here’s what they said.

This is your first time directing, what challenges have you faced?

Ulrik  The artistic part hasn’t been too challenging because we have experience in that field and the cast are exceptionally talented. I guess the whole organisational aspect, which is based on learning as we go along.

Katya   (helpfully interjecting) I’ve spent a lot of time sawing wood.

Was this just a way of getting out of the library for the first time in three years?

Both: Yes –

U  It was, but now I can’t wait to get back. I know she misses me. Multi-tasking is difficult.

Has it been fun?

U  Yes! I am an exhausted nervous wreck by this point, but it has been fun. When I can’t sleep at night it’s because I’m excited!

K  (again, helpfully interjecting) Yeah.

What attracted you to Out of Order?

U  We wanted to do a silly stupid comedy and just make people laugh.

K  No literary depth.

Is it interesting that, as foreigners, you both chose to do a very English play?

U  Well when they try, the English are the funniest in the world. The humour is really dry and tongue-in-cheek, which I like alot. Just look at Fawlty Towers and Monty Python.

K  … (silence)

Was it important for the play to be part of On the Rocks Festival? 

U   Oh just put in something politically correct.

(helpfully interjecting) It’s great to be involved.

U  In all seriousness, it’s great to be part of festival that really promotes and encourages theatre, and especially student theatre. We are really excited to be a part of OTR this year.

Will you do this again?

Hell yeah!

K  (becoming very animated) Yeah I would do this again! I see Ulrik more than anyone… which obviously is a lot of fun…

What’s the most ‘out of order’ thing you have ever done?

U  I once left the library for dinner and didn’t come back.

K  I once ate carbs after six pm.

Why should people come and see Out of Order?

U  Come and see the play because it is fucking hilarious. It’s not a very long play and it’s very light hearted. There’s nothing which is emotionally draining.

K (another helpful interjection) Yeah.

I’m sold. See you there. Out of Order will be performed on Monday 16th April at 5:30 pm and Tuesday 17th April at 7:30 pm. Tickets are five pounds.